[3830] CQ160 CW N8II Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N8II@AOL.COM
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW N8II Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 19:33:53 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): ~9.5

Total:  QSOs = 703  State/Prov = 53  Countries = 22  Total Score = 135,600

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

That 160 is quite a lady, I immensely enjoyed the Peter and Doug show!

For me, it was a case of being too tired to entertain the lady for the whole
weekend. She treated me pretty well considering my lack of commitment, the
highlight of which was my LP EU run (about 15 or so stations) courtesy of a
hole near 1836 that opened up around 0440Z Sunday wide enough to drive a truck
thru. I also had very little trouble with running, nice QRM free frequencies by
and large which does help the rate. In 2.3 hours the first night I heard no EU
and only DX worked was C6 (no further away than Miami) and PJ2T. Saturday was a
different story; CS2C was loud but unworkable 30 minutes before sunset, then got
him around 2245 down 6-10 db from earlier. Still there was no EU joy most of the
evening, very weak sigs from the big guns. The big gun East Coast stations were
running EU all evening that I couldn't hear for the most part. Around 0240Z,
things picked up a bit, but was only able to struggle thru to about half the EU
I S&P'ed. Finally, after 30 minutes off at 0420Z, EU was much louder and they
were hearing me well. My EU run lasted until 0530Z, then I still had a decent
NA rate, so kept plugging along. Last QSO of night just before 06Z was LX7I
which was a nice icing on the cake.
Activity was amazing from AL and IA, never worked nearly as many from either
state in a 160 test. MN was hurt by the conditions the first night way down
from usual. I missed ND and ID in the lower 48 and surprisingly VE5-VE7.
Some state totals:
VA - 48   MN - 13
PA - 42   IA - 10
OH - 36   SC - 9
FL - 35
NY - 32
TN - 31
NC - 27
AL - 26
ON - 25

That lady is fickle, cathcing those EU in about 100 minutes added about 41K to
my score. Thanks for all of the calls, the quality of operators is improving, a
pleasure to run and S&P.

73, Jeff