[3830] ARRL Jan VHF N0JK Single Op Port QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n0jk@hotmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF N0JK Single Op Port QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 20:54:14 -0800

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  94     46  Total Score = 4,462

Club:

Comments:

What a great January contest. Strong Es on 6M at the start from eastern Kansas
to the mid-Atlantic region. Got a run going for a while with 10 watts and the 2
el yagi. Even worked a mobile - W1BS/4 - in FM03. This opening lasted about 2
1/2 hours. Then the band switched to the desert southwest. WA7JTM, N7CW, N7IR
and others were very loud. But not many stations around. Worked XE2AU DL81 at
2252 utc. It was windy and chilly, so called it a day. The following morning
was foggy, windy, and much warmer. A front had come through overnight. Tropo
weather! Heard K5QE EM31 on 2 Meters, but 10 watts couldn't get their
attention. Worked N0LL EM09 on 432 MHz holding the 432 Quagi by hand as the
mast blew down! 6 was slow Sunday with only some short openings to Arizona and
the Pacific northwest early afternoon. Band died out but I kept a watch on
50.110 in case HK0NA showed. The wind died down, sun came out and it was warm
for mid January. At 2215 UTC, P43A FK52 popped up suddenly 5x9 on 50.110 and we
worked! He faded out and I tuned around. Heard Pedro, NP4A on .125 loud, but he
had to QRX. Back to .110 heard P43A again, he worked N0LWF EN10 and faded out.
All were gone by 2230 UTC. Possibly F2. Any F2 in a January VHF Sweepstakes is
a real novelty! After the contest, I noted many F2 type spots from W5, W6, W7
to the Carib and northern South America. Es, Es - TEP, F2, Aurora, AU-Es,
Tropo, m/s, iono-scatter and EME were modes worked in this contest.