[3830] RTTY WPX KL8DX SOAB(TS) LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY WPX KL8DX SOAB(TS) LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 08:24:47 -0800
                    CQ WW RTTY WPX Contest

Call: KL8DX
Operator(s): KL8DX
Station: KL8DX

Class: SOAB(TS) LP
QTH: Alaska
Operating Time (hrs): 24:34

------------
   80:    0
   40:    7
   20:  250
   15:  410
   10:   73
------------

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

My low power effort as I have not yet had my amplifier repaired.
Obviously, 15 meters was the money band for me however, 20 meters
produced only 15 fewer multipliers for nearly half the QSO's! This
was due to better than fair conditions into Europe on 20 meters in
the mornings.

We once again are experiencing Chinook winds here in the interior
with gusts over 40 mph for most of the weekend. I had much more
QRN than normal, especially toward the lower 48. I just lowered my
beam as we are supposed to have 65 + mph gusts for the next 24 to
36 hours. My Hazer crank is approximately 4 foot above the ground
and I had to dig snow out from around the crank so I could turn it.
This is due to lots of drifting snow on the north side of my home
where my tower is. These winds are bittersweet. It has been well
above freezing so my heating bill should get a reprieve but the
warmer temps make things very slick outside not to mention it's
hard on the antennas.

I'm pretty happy with my effort however, I slept in both mornings
so I left 5.5 hours of available operating time on the table. I
was hoping get a 3am-4am start both mornings but it just did not
happen. Rough week I guess.

I'm looking forward to next weekend as I once again continue my
pursuit of low power contesting. Two things are very apparent
with low power;

1. A much lower score
2. Shack is 20 degrees colder than normal

Lots of stations with great receivers and thanks much for pulling
out my weaker than normal signal. I did put a bit more detail from
this contest in my latest blog entry.

73!

Phil - KL8DX
Denali National Park, AK