[3830] ARRLDX CW VK2DX SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, nick@clockmaker.com.au
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW VK2DX SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 15:23:28 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: VK2DX
Operator(s): VK2DX
Station: VK2DX

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Sydney
Operating Time (hrs): 18.5

  160:
   80:
   40:  232    47
   20:  229    44
   15:  620    53
   10:  211    45
-------------------
Total: 1292   189  Total Score = 732,654

Club:

Comments:

ARRL Contest: Super fun!

Pre-contest goal: to make 1000 Q. Probably bit ambitious taking in
consideration
limited operating time (family commitments!).
Managed to get on air after sunset on day one. The 40m band was
extremely noisy with heavy QRN. The next door neighbor was again firing up his
300Amp welder which means that even the strongest big guns were barely
audible.
Also, our new 64" plasma TV was generating unbelievable amount of junk
on the entire HF spectrum!
Finally, when family members went to bed I was able to get the contest going
and logged around 200 Q on the first night.
In the morning I found the 15m in great shape! I could easily hold the
frequency
and quickly the QSO total started to rise.
By lunch time on Sunday, the logger was showing 1,013Q.

Unfortunately form then on, things went to worse - we had the worst
thunderstorm of the  year with number of very close lighnting strikes. There
was absolutely no way to operate.

Next morning the 15m open once again and in just couple of hours 200+ Q were
logged on 15 and 10m. Which brought the total to 1,292 Q and 189 mults.
Missed South Dakota and LB, NU, NWT and YK from Canada.

Overall, the ARRL contest was a blast - US CW operators are
really great - I  just wish I had more time to operate.
Even with my modest setup I could have easily made 2K+ Q if XYL was bit more
cooperatove.

Anyway, contesting is all about exceeding personal best scores, so I am ready
to beat this one in February 2013!

RIG: GenesisRadio G11 + 100W PA
Anetnna: 3el A3S @10m, 40m wire.

Section by-band table and other stuff at
http://vk2dx.blogspot.com.au/

73 Nick VK2DX