[3830] ARRLDX CW KT8K SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kt8k@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW KT8K SOAB QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 16:36:20 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: KT8K
Operator(s): KT8K
Station: KT8K

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: EN82cg SE Mich
Operating Time (hrs): 23:20

  160:    0     0
   80:    3     3
   40:   63    35
   20:  169    53
   15:  204    67
   10:   36    24
-------------------
Total:  475   182  Total Score = 259,350

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

It is so nice to have sunspots again!  There was great action on all the bands,
but especially on 15m.  In spite of minor health problems I managed to fix the
inverted vee Friday afternoon and ... I had a ball ... again!

First, a huge thanks to all who put up with my weak signal and were patient
through the many repeats sometimes needed to complete the QSO.  There were a
lot of great ops out there.

One big thrill: On 14030 at 22:10Z Saturday I heard a faint whisper of signal
and, when I listened very closely, I could barely hear KH6LC.  He was below my
noise level, really, but I called him.  To my surprise he heard me and copied
all the first time.  He was running a KW, incidentally, and probably a
substantial antenna.  I was running 5 Watts to my inverted vee at 40 feet.  How
he could hear me I can't imagine.

Another thrill:  Found EC7CW a few minutes later (22:19Z on 14023) swamped in
an out-of-control free-for-all, but tuned quite low and snagged him "from under
the pileup" on my first call.

Back pain on day 2 was limiting my BIC (Butt-In-Chair) time to 10-30 minutes at
a stretch after which I would have to go lie down for a bit, but I kept at it as
much as I could.

I might have been the first to hear ZL3OI just fading in in the US on 20m
Sunday afternoon, but before he could come in strong enough to hear me somebody
apparently spotted him and a "flashmob" of assisted stations exploded over him.
I couldn't hear him after that.  That's just part of the life of a QRP-er.

I'm still sore, but looking forward to the next one.  Best rx & 73 to all until
then - Tim, KT8K