[3830] ARRLDX CW K4AB SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, larry.k4ab@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW K4AB SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 16:42:38 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K4AB
Operator(s): K4AB
Station: K4AB

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Huntsville, Alabama
Operating Time (hrs): 43

  160:   31    24
   80:  110    56
   40:  260    75
   20:  817    93
   15:  899    98
   10:  130    51
-------------------
Total: 2247   397  Total Score = 2,676,177

Club: Alabama Contest Group

Comments:

There were 3 items I'll remember about this one:

1) The great over the pole opening around 0200 Sunday.  Tons of UA9's
and zeros, with a bunch of JA's and mix-in a little VU2PTT and JU1DX.

2) This isn't the first time I've noticed the following: 3-4 hours
before sunrise, Europe was bangin' through on 20 meters. Then, maybe
two hours before sunrise, the band just goes away.  Then, again, an hour
before the sun comes up, here comes Europe again - loud!  Does anyone know
what causes the conditions to weaken just before dawn?  And why was there
a peak in conditions a few hours before?

3) What happened at around 18-19Z Sunday?  Was there a solar event?
I was trying to nudge myself a hole on 20, when the frequency suddendly
cleared.  But folks stopped replying to my CQ's.  When I tuned around
the band, only the big European stations were coming through. And you could
drive a truck through the holes in the band.

See y'all phone weekend.

73,
Larry K4AB