[3830] ARRLDX CW AB1OD SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW AB1OD SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 17:29:33 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: AB1OD
Operator(s): AB1OD
Station: AB1OD

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: CT
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:    1     1
   80:  110    44
   40:  142    52
   20:  341    81
   15:  222    82
   10:   46   138
-------------------
Total:  862   288  Total Score = 744,768

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Station: Icom 7000, Carolina Windom @ 20m (+inverted L cloud-warmer for 160)

Well, that was fun.  Operated when not otherwise occupied with honey-do's,
sleep, and other commitments.  CW does not come easily to; since recent
experience has shown that I'm not ready to try to run in a big CW test, this
was strictly a S&P effort.

My primary objective was to qualify for a certificate.  Passed the 500 Q
threshold before going to bed Saturday night...so then I figured I'd at least
commit myself to 750 Q's.   After I passed that mark, I figured I'd see if I
could reach the "100 DXCC in a weekend" landmark...but didn't quite hit that
mark -- 97 entities worked, including 4 new ones.

Propagation was interesting.  While 40m is not a good band for me, conditions
seemed great Friday evening, so-so Saturday evening, and disappointing in the
closing hours.  80m on the other hand was disappointing Friday night and great
on Saturday night (finally got to Hawaii on 80m).  10m was generally
disappointing.  15m and 20m seemed good-to-excellent -- I usually have a hard
time just hearing JA from my QTH, but for a while late Sunday afternoon, 15m
was filled with JA signals here, and I was even able to work a few on 20m both
days.

And as for 160 -- only rarely am I successful in making contacts beyond
1000-1500 miles or so.  Fortunately, Bermuda is within that range.  Perhaps I
should have tried for a few more Q's, but 40 and 80 were just too productive
Friday and Saturday nights.

Thankfully tomorrow's a holiday; I need time to recover from all the fun.