[3830] ARRLDX CW NH2T(N2NL) SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW NH2T(N2NL) SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 18:38:30 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: NH2T
Operator(s): N2NL
Station: N2NL

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: Guam
Operating Time (hrs): 20

  160:    9     6
   80:   83    30
   40:  277    45
   20:  290    44
   15:  944    58
   10:  476    47
-------------------
Total: 2079   230  Total Score = 1,395,180

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

K3/AL1200
Spiderbeam @ 40ft
40m vertical
80/160m vertical
1000ft NA Beverage

With only NH2DX (KG6DX) QRV on 10m and KH2L making a few QSOs, I wanted to put
in as many hours as possible to hand out the KH2 mult.  Conditions on 10 and 15
were pretty good with consideration to the SFI.  The low bands were miserable.

Just after sunset the first night, the big multi stations were all good copy on
160 here - W3LPL, K3LR, NQ4I, ETC.  None heard me calling.  I tried repeatedly
through the evening, with signals fading as NA SR approached.  The 2nd night
was miserable on 160 - I heard nothing outside of the far west coast.

For most of the first night I felt like my antennas were in a Faraday cage.
Loud guys on 80 called CQ in my face.  I could work guys on 40 but not get
anything going run wise.  I made 140 QSOs in four hours of prime time the first
night.  Miserable.

The center mass of contesting is firmly located over the North Atlantic.  Those
of us in the rest of the world are on the outside looking in.  During prime SR
time on 40 and 80m, most stations in NA were on the higher  bands working EU.
I could hear NA stations for just about 24 hours of the day on 20 but rarely
were they workable.  They were all pointing toward EU.  I don't blame them - I
do the same thing from home - but this explains why there is reduced activity
from other parts of the world.  It just isn't fun for us outside of the few
hours of good propagation without EU to distract our targets.

I was frustrated several times by NA stations who *refused* to work me, I
assume because they copied me as NS2T (I even have a half space programmed in
between the letters of my call to try to alleviate this).  I do not understand
why these stations don't simply work me - I'd correct the call and they would
get a mult they otherwise missed.  It is easier and faster just to work a zero
pointer than to try to awkwardly try to explain why they don't count.  It's
just like working dupes.  I worked many JAs this weekend and it didn't hurt me
very much if at all.  It would have been much more difficult to explain to them
they didn't count, and besides, I want to be nice and have them call me again
during CQWW DX.  I am quite certain that those who would not work me did not
get the KH2 multiplier on that particular band; it only cost me a few QSO
points.

My brain works better on CW than SSB, but I'll try to help out as much as
possible in a couple weeks.  Thanks for all the QSOs!

73, Dave KH2/N2NL