[3830] ARRLDX CW TI5W M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW TI5W M/M HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 20:11:03 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: TI5W
Operator(s): N3KS, WX3B, NI1N, NY3A, K3LP, K1LZ, N2OW, JT1CO
Station: TI5W

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Costa Rica
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:   752    58
   80:  1386    59
   40:  1989    59
   20:  2244    59
   15:  2331    59
   10:  2336    59
--------------------
Total: 11038   353  Total Score = 11,674,416

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

This was a great exercise in last minute planning, our intended Multi-Two
operation changed into a Multi-multi effort about two weeks before the contest.
  Everything from radios to antennas to amplifiers to accommodations all
changed, and it was basically architected with just two weeks to go (thanks
WX3B!) before the contest and built on location starting the Wednesday before
contest start.  Everyone chipped in to get the station on the air â?" a delta
loop in the trees for 160m, a pair of phased verticals for 80m (such a shame
that the 80m band just tanked for us on Saturday night after good conditions on
Friday night â?" otherwise we felt we would have had results for the ages on
80m), a Log Periodic with an extra shortened dipole added for 40m, three
element SteppIR for 20m, a two element yagi for 15m, and a three element 10m
yagi hung from a tree branch.

Incredibly, we did not have any station interference issues that werenâ??t
solved in a day, however we lost one amplifier just before the contest and lost
another during the contest, which limited our ability to run with power on all
open bands simultaneously.

The results were gratifying, with our claimed score of more than 11,000 QSOâ??s
and 11.6 million points appearing to set a category record â?" which may not
hold up as we expect the competition from PJ2T, PJ4X and others to also have
had a rocking good weekend..

We never really had any extended high speed runs (something we missed from our
multi-single effort using Ti5A last year), it was mostly even steady going on
the high bands each afternoon.   We had excellent results on the low bands on
the first night, but appeared to have disappointing low band conditions on
Saturday night.

Thanks to everyone on the team who did such a great job putting so much
together in such a short period of time and to Freddy and Gendri in Costa Rica
who provided fantastic support.
73, Kam  N3KS