[3830] ARRLDX CW WS7L SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW WS7L SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 22:09:13 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: WS7L
Operator(s): WS7L
Station: WS7L

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: OR
Operating Time (hrs): 31

  160:   21    17
   80:   65    33
   40:  141    69
   20:  132    77
   15:  216    88
   10:   58    42
-------------------
Total:  633   326  Total Score = 617,118

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

Conditions were better on the high bands than last year's ARRL but not nearly as
good as CQWW. 10 meters never really came alive but 15 smoked. Compared to last
year, I had more Q's on the high bands and fewer on the low bands. This led to
more multipliers and a much better score. 80 and 160 were not beautiful.
Usually I can get a run of JAs going on 80 meters in my pre-dawn but that did
not materialize. 160 was heartbreaking. The first night there were 6 or 7
stations spotted that would have been new countries toward my 160 meter DXCC,
but conditions were dire and I couldn't work any of them. Conditions improved a
lot the second night but the new ones didn't show up again. Argh! Well I got two
new ones anyway, PZ and CT3. But not to complain too bitterly, I had a lot of
fun and got a bunch of new band-countries. Looking for new ones by tuning and
listening between the spots and the big loud guys is always fun. My high point
was coming across a small pileup that had no spot. It V51YJ and surprisingly no
one ratted us out to the cluster when they left. So that was the easiest "rare"
multiplier of all.

I logged a total of 107 distinct counries, by region as follows. Clearly, EU
leads even for us west-coasters. The Pacific and Caribbean are both full of
multipliers, if only they'd all show up!

AF 9
AS 9
EU 41
NA 24
OC 10
SA 14

16 countries were logged on all six bands.

73 and thanks for the Q's
Carl, WS7L
K3, 700 watts, and some verticals.