[3830] ARRLDX CW DL6FBL(@DR1A) SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bernd.fd@gmx.de
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW DL6FBL(@DR1A) SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 03:52:26 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: DL6FBL
Operator(s): DL6FBL
Station: DR1A

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: JO31CQ
Operating Time (hrs): 25

  160:   25    15
   80:  225    41
   40:  332    51
   20:  764    57
   15:  559    58
   10:  117    35
-------------------
Total: 2022   257  Total Score = 1,557,420

Club:

Comments:

YL Irina, DL8DYL, did the main entry in this contest (Single OP All Bands) from
our station. I was playing "Tech Support", and did some operating on the
"second best" band available... I skipped the second night because I had some
business works to do on Sunday morning.
I did not operate on 160m the SECOND night, but watched it in the first and
last hours. After CQ 160 CW's first night, I thought propagation couldn't get
worse. It could. Same applied to 80m. Big struggle despite good RX antennas.
40m also seemed worse. 20/15m behaved OK. 10m never really opened here in
Northwest Germany. Most signals were at ESP level. Only the Florida stations
moved the meter...
It is very noticable that most of the crowd is moving across the bands to
always find the best band for the highest rate. When you always "have" to
populate the "second best" band, your rates are very much lower. I'm happy that
I chose the Assisted category, because I could easily keep the bandmap empty
despite the high volume of RBN messages. On Sunday I never had more than about
30 entries in the bandmap, of which 75% were busted calls... ;-)

Apropos RBN (Reverse Beacon Network): we installed our own Skimmer Server at
DR1A last week. It's using a QS1R and our distant RX Antennas at the lakeside
(20/15/10m Fritzel GPA, 40m Fullsize L/4 Vertical, and our 45/100/225/280 deg
Beverages) - all mixed together. More information is also available on our
website: http://www.dr1a.com. Any feedback is welcome, too.

Not sure if I want to do CQ 160 SSB under such bad propagation forecasts.
Next stop will definitely be ARRL SSB on March 3-4 when playing "Tech Support"
again. Main entry will be YL Sandy, DL1QQ, doing Single OP All Bands. Please
give her a call - and I don't mind, if you find me on the "second best"
available band, too... :-)

73 Ben
DL6FBL