[3830] ARRLDX CW N2GA SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW N2GA SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 07:22:17 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N2GA
Operator(s): N2GA
Station: N2GA

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: NY
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:
   40:  117    49
   20:   95    41
   15:   86    44
   10:   42    24
-------------------
Total:  340   158  Total Score = 161,160

Club: Order of Boiled Owls of New York

Comments:

I was planning a big effort but events transpired that prevented that from
happening. Originally, I was planning to operate from Andy K2LE's super station
in Vermont but he had a water problem that precluded operating there.  Fallback
plans were to operate from home with my small Yagi on a 41 foot tower and a
sloping dipole. I started the contest on Friday evening on 20 but wasn't making
any contacts.  Thinking the band was dead, I switched to 40 and was able to work
stations okay there. It wasn't until Saturday mornging that I realized the Yagi
was not working at all. I had lost my primary antenna and had to tune my
40/80/160 sloper for the high bands. I don't know exactly how much RF it was
actually radiating but I know I was last in most pileups and had to provide
lots of repeats at times.  It was a pretty frustrating couple of days but I
managed to put in some time but wasn't the effort or results that I had
planned.  Congratulations to all the great DX stations out there that were able
to hear me!  It seemed like conditions were good otherwise and it was nice to
hear so much activity.