[3830] ARRLDX CW K5AF SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW K5AF SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 15:58:25 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K5AF
Operator(s): K5AF
Station: K5AF

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): :35

  160:  10     10
   80:
   40:
   20:  12      8
   15:   7      5
   10:   3      1
-------------------
Total:  32     24  Total Score = 3,000

Club:

Comments:

I started on the high bands late on Saturday afternoon.  I had created a log in
TR, and the program crashed unexplicably. I went back to my genqso file and did
some light S&P using my station log.  Score is roughly estimated.

Only one point to make:  It appeared that many folks blew off 160M, and I'd
suspect they'd regret it if they knew how good conditions were, at least here
in STx.  We had a heavy rain with rolling thunder all Friday night here, but
the skies cleared on Saturday and conditions were great when I got home at 2AM
Sunday morning from my music gig.

I spent only about ten minutes or so on 160M, but wanted to test my new
inverted L design that has an unterminated horizontal equalateral triangle
instead of a straight wire as the horizontal element.  It worked very well, and
I clicked off 10 mults (Carribean, SA and CA) in rapid succession, mostly on the
first call.  Admittedly, these stations were "chip shots" from STx, but with QRN
in the tropics, it is never a given to work them this easily.

The antenna is about 35' tall, and the triangular wire (about 32' on a side) is
in the horizontal plane (actually sloping down slightly) and the return wire to
the top of the vertical section is left open, tied to an insulator.  Haven't
modeled it, but seems to work well.

Anyway, I was treated to a silky smooth, QRN-free band.  Top band is always
full of surprises!