[3830] ARRLDX CW W3DQ M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ericrosenberg.dc@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW W3DQ M/S HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 09:12:30 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W3DQ
Operator(s): W3DQ, W2CDO, N4QQ, N3QE
Station: W3DQ

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Washington, DC
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:   29    20
   80:   85    48
   40:  180    61
   20:  313    77
   15:  596    90
   10:   37    11
-------------------
Total: 1240   317  Total Score = 1,179,240

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

This was a very different contest experience than last year:Orion 565 with RX366
sub-RX board replaced the K3; we were very shorthanded (so much so that we had
to quit way too early on Sunday); two of the four of us had never operated this
station or seen an Orion; Conditions were different.

It was hard to find and keep a run frequency, and as others have stated, the
(zero beat) pileups caused by skimmer spots were hard to handle. It was also
interesting so see how few packet spots were generated. 15 was our best band.
40 is always a problem from my urban QTH. 160 was a disappointment.

In the end, everything worked well - the Orion with the new version 3 firmware
and RX366 enhanced sub-receiver board was a killer. Wow!

Thanks to Peter (W2CDO), John (N4QQ) and Tim (N3QE) for doing the heavy
lifting!

See you in the next one...

73,
Eric W3DQ