[3830] NAQP RTTY AA5AU Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, aa5au@bellsouth.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP RTTY AA5AU Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 21:43:39 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, RTTY - February

Call: AA5AU
Operator(s): AA5AU
Station: AA5AU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: LA
Operating Time (hrs): 9.5
Radios: SO2R

   80:  132    45
   40:  246    53
   20:  309    56
   15:  200    43
   10:   45    14
-------------------
Total:  932   211  Total Score = 196,652

Club: Louisiana Contest Club

Team: Louisiana Contest Club

Comments:

This was a very emotional contest for me.  My Dad, George WB9FAD, is on hospice
and my wife's father passed away unexpectedly last night.

Even though I really didn't feel like contesting, I gave it my best because
that is what my Dad would want me to do.  I had dedicated this effort to him
and the result was my best score ever - by a lot.

I ran SO3R and was able to get into a rhythm with all three radios at the start
on 10, 15 and 20.  Whereas I had problems in the Roundup handling SO3R, it
seemed much easier this time around for some reason.  Apparently the third
radio helped a lot because my multiplier total is off-scale.  Considering I
took two 15 minutes breaks during operating time, I couldn't believe how well I
did.  I couldn't remember what my previous best score was and when I checked
after the contest, I was floored.

Ten meters was not that good, so I concentrated on 15 and 20.  I didn't think
15 was that great either.  I tried going to 40 early, but there wasn't much
there and the band was noisy because we had some weather in the area.  So I
took an hour break and fixed dinner for Sharon as she wasn't feeling well and
that was expected after losing her father.

After dinner, I started 3 radios again, this time on 20, 40 and 80.  40 and 80
were very noisy at the start of the session, but over time, it began to quiet
down as the weather calmed.  I had some good runs on 40, but what surprised me
was that 20 stayed very late into the evening.  I made my last 20m contact at
0234Z and decided to turn the 3rd radio off and concentrate harder on 40 and
80.  In the last couple of hours the low bands got quiet and were pretty good.

Thanks to everyone who worked me.

73, Don AA5AU

Radios:
Icom IC-756 PRO III
Kenwood TS-870 (2)

Antennas:
3 element SteppIR with 30/40 loop dipole at 60'
4 element KT-34 tribander at 40'
80M inverted vee with apex at 55'

Other stuff:
Dunestar HF Triplexer on the KT34
Dunestar 600 filters (2)
Dunestar individual band filters (10, 15 & 20 on the triplexer)
Dunestar 80M filter on the inverted vee
Dunestar 2-radio headphone selector
JPS NIR-12 Dual DSP audio filter (2)
HAM IV rotor
M2 rotor with RC2800PX controller
Icom PS-60 power supply
Astron power supply
Yaeus FP-757HD power supply
Dell Dimension 4800 running 2 radios using WriteLog v11.02A under Windows XP
Dell Inspiron laptop running 1 radio using WriteLog v11.02A under Windows XP
Dell 20" monitor
NEC 17" monitor
Homebrew FSK interfaces (3)
Siig USB-to-serial adapter