[3830] NAQP RTTY AC0C Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jeff@ac0c.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP RTTY AC0C Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 21:20:09 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, RTTY - February

Call: AC0C
Operator(s): AC0C
Station: AC0C

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Kansas
Operating Time (hrs): 10
Radios: SO2R

   80:  129    43
   40:  249    50
   20:  245    45
   15:  150    23
   10:    3     2
-------------------
Total:  776   163  Total Score = 131,920

Club: Kansas City DX Club

Team:

Comments:

Thanks everyone for the Qs!

Shack setup -------------------------------

FT-2000 with NS roofing filter, FT-dx5000MP

So2r attic antenna farm with 80m dipole, 40m 2-element phased, 20m 2-ele
reversible, 15m 2-element reversable with dipole for N/S coverage, 3 10m fixed
antennas; 2 elements east, 2 elements west and a dipole for N/S coverage.
160/80m receiving loop.

N1MM logger, dual 5B4AGN BPF, Microham interfaces, YCCC So2r

------------------------

This contest found the best local band conditions I've seen in recent memory.
And the NAQP series are great for the midwest located antenna-challenged guys
because we are a short hop to everywhere.  But with only 10 op hours and no
assist options, that leaves a lot of mults and a lot of bands to cover so
strategy is important.

This year I managed to pick up the 80m mults I missed in 2011 - but missed the
opening hours action on 10m early due to an XYL comittment -  and did not give
15m enough focus thinking the band was fading out here.  Lessons to remember
for 2013!

Ran So2r on 15/20 until I thought 15 was starting to slip.  Should have stayed
on 15m longer now that I consider the mult count.  20 and 40m was in great
shape although QSB was a bit of a problem on 40m toward the end.  And 80m was
just amazing here with a very quiet local QRN level.  Athough the lack of the
amp was really felt on 80m especially and required many calls in a lot of
cases.  Even with the retrys, I managed my best hour of 102Q/hr just before
running into the 10 hour op time limit.

Rigs ran great - about 60% of the Qs were made on the 2K which served anchor
duty on 20/40m with the 5K roaming the other bands.  The only gear-related
problem was an intermittent software issue with the PTT - the kind of thing
under So2r that will make you pull hair.  Toward the end, I tried a bit of
So2r+So1v but with decent run rates on both the 40/80m So2r windows, I quickly
gave up.

Bone headed op error of the day - around 0200 40m was keeping me busy although
I was running dualing CQ with 80m.  After a while I noticed that there were no
callers on 80m.  Looked up and noticed I was calling on 3502!  I reset the
frequency but neglected to check the mode and somehow had managed to run
reversed for a while longer.

This was the first contest that I've not been doing antenna work of one kind or
another just prior to a contest run - something I can't remember in the last
couple of years.

Thanks to everyone who worked me.  See you in the next run...

73/jeff/ac0c
www.ac0c.com