[3830] CQ160 SSB VE3MGY Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve3mgy@hotmail.ca
Subject: [3830] CQ160 SSB VE3MGY Single Op QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 04:25:01 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: VE3MGY
Operator(s): VE3MGY
Station: VE3MGY

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Ontario
Operating Time (hrs): 20.0

Total:  QSOs = 200  State/Prov = 42  Countries = 2  Total Score = 42,504

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

WOW!! It was without a doubt the absolute worst conditions I have ever
encountered. Which is funny really because I said the same thing in the CW
portion last month... But then I never thought things could get worse - but
they did!!

Friday the noise was incredible here ( S8 to 10/9 constant on everything ) and
was only surpassed by the amazing absorption levels. It was the first time I
have never been able to run. I tried and tried and tried but I never got even
one call. So it was a S&P game and even that was near impossible as I was at or
below everyone elseâ??s noise level - even the locals!! I never even heard the
West coast Friday let alone any DX. And it wasn't the usual crisp QRN that at
least has breaks between the static bursts but instead an unrelenting hiss that
just wouldn't go away. If you have ever heard the audio rectification that can
take place with the visible aurora ( I have years ago up North ) then that is
what it sounded like here at times. As for the QSB it was long ( read minutes )
one time and then short ( read seconds ) the next time with no discernible
pattern.

Saturday night as I turned on the gear I was greeted with a steady S5 - S6
noise level - a big improvement!! Unfortunately the absorption levels were
still very high. To say the weekend was a struggle is to say Mount Everest is
"kind of tall..."

Needless to say my initial goal of beating my personal QRP best set back in
2005 of 330 QSO's 48 W/VE 7 DX and a score of 87,395 was a hilarious pipe
dream. These were the toughest and hardest fought for 200 QSO's of my entire
radio contest career. By 0600z Sunday the band finally started showing some
life as I actually made into ZF2 and C6 ( Thank heavens for salt water! ).
Still never made it to the West Coast but NM was close enough for me!

I hope this incredible weekend is never surpassed!!

Thanks for the repeats and the repeats and the repeats and the...

73,
Brian
VE3MGY