[3830] CQ160 SSB K3ZM Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, pbriggs876@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 SSB K3ZM Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 10:36:31 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: K3ZM
Operator(s): K3ZM
Station: K3ZM

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Virginia
Operating Time (hrs): 24

Total:  QSOs = 1123  State/Prov = 57  Countries = 41  Total Score = 328,300

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

The Empire Strikes Back

Here at the Secret Rebel Base, we try hard to compete against the magnificent
Death Star.  Last month, we were able to establish a temporary advantage.
However, on this occasion, the Emperor's forces stormed back under the most
adverse conditions observed to date.

Here in eastern Virginia, the static crashes were peaking S8 to S9 and had a
median level of S6 early Friday evening.  After 0500Z, it became somewhat
quieter.  However, there was an additional noise that I have not heard on 160
before.  This second noise sounded man-made, and was like a vehicle passing
nearby with a noisy alternator, or someone in the house operating a hair dryer
or corded drill.  The amplitude varied, and the noise also seemed to come in
waves.  These two different types of interference made it extremely difficult
not only to copy EU, but also to pull in the LP stations across North America.
I apologize to those distant U.S. stations who had trouble getting through.  It
was also very windy here.

First EU was OK1W at 2327, then UU7J at 2339.  At 2342, a mini-run of DL5, EA4,
EC2, M1, 9A1 and S52.  Then not much until UT5A at 0052.  EI7M is, of course, a
strong station in an advantaged location and was totally Q5 at 0100.  A nice
mini-run of DJ7, EA7, OL7, EA3, EA4, DL0, EA2 and UX2 starting at 0155.  The
best run on Friday night was 15 straight EU's from 0526 through 0550.  At one
point, I had a completely clear frequency and many, many EU stations were
calling but I could not copy them.  The signal levels were just not good
enough.  For me, this is horribly embarrassing.  I am very sorry I could not
copy you.

Friday night was also tough because I woke up with a cold on Thursday morning
and was really under the weather all weekend, blowing my nose constantly and
fighting off a sore throat.  My first cold in four years.  What timing!  I
soldiered on and managed to go to bed Saturday morning after sunrise with 742
contacts in 27 countries and 56 sections.  I had only worked 41 EU's.  No
Oceania.  A couple South America.  One CT3, no EA8 or CN8.  CE1/K7CA was loud
as usual.  Al's operation from CE1 is a great gift to us all.

Saturday evening was quieter, but signal levels were not very good.  I managed
a run of 12 straight EU's from 0100 to 0110 and got really excited but then
they went away.  Was there a soccer game?  Then 8 straight from 0141 to 0149.

As always, a number of stations went out of their way to provide me with a
contact, including K5ZD, K1AR, AD4J, W2RE, WW2DX, K1DG, W1GD and tons of
others.  Brother K2DM called me from Florida for hours using his attic 40m
dipole but I never heard him.  We have since traded mutual insults which
centered on his miserable signal vs. my lack of ears.

My final tally included exactly 100 EU's, no KL7, no KH6 or other Pacific.

In the end, we here at the Rebel Base failed to establish an unambiguous
advantage over the Empire.  The freedom of the galaxy is now in jeopardy.
Fortunately, at this very moment, far away on the Ice Planet Hoth, Obee-Won
Kenobee is training another young apprentice.

May the Force be with you.

73,

Peter  K3ZM   reporting for Luke Skytalker