[3830] ARRLDX SSB W2ID SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB W2ID SOAB QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2012 16:38:50 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: W2ID
Operator(s): W2ID
Station: W2ID

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: NNJ
Operating Time (hrs): 40.5
Radios: SO2R

  160:    4     4
   80:   23    19
   40:   56    44
   20:  183    71
   15:  201    64
   10:  127    40
-------------------
Total:  594   242  Total Score = 430,518

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

ARRLDXSSB Score Summary Sheet

       Start Date : 2012-03-03

    CallSign Used : W2ID
      Operator(s) : W2ID

Operator Category : SINGLE-OP
             Band : ALL
            Power : QRP
             Mode : SSB
 Default Exchange : NJ
       Gridsquare : FN20MM

     ARRL Section : NNJ
        Club/Team : Frankford Radio Club
         Software : N1MM Logger V12.2.2

        Band    QSOs    Pts  Cty
         1.8       4      12    4
         3.5      23      69   19
           7      56     168   44
          14     183     549   71
          21     201     600   64
          28     127     381   40
       Total     594    1779  242

            Score : 430,518
              Rig : FT-1000MP X 2 @ 5.0 W PEP

         Antennas : 160 Inv L, 80 elevated GP, 40 elevated GP, 20/15/10 2L Quad
@ 45'

          Soapbox : Many thanks to so many amazing ops who had the patience to
pull me out through the QRM and QRN! Sure wish I had a voice keyer set up. I am
sure I yelled my callsign at least 10,000 times over the 40+ hours. Really great
condx the first day, and very weird condx the second day. Spent half the day
rotating the beam around on 10m to try and figure out which direction the
signals were coming from. Still had lots of fun though!

          Soapbox 2 (a/k/a Beef): Despite the fact that our entry form says "I
have observed all competition rules as well as all regulations", there was a
handful of stations who were splattering a LOT (meaning their signal was
audible as much as 5 or even 10 KHz on each side of their frequency!). It was
the same few stations all weekend long. I told several of them about the
problem numerous times. It never made any difference. Not one of them took any
action. Guys, come on. Completely destroying at least 6-8 KHz of precious
spectrum during a contest is really not very courteous or considerate. Just so
you know, none of you are in my log. But what annoys me the most is that I
missed out on a lot of QSOs that would have been in my log except that the
other station was unable to copy my full call or report through the splatter
from the neighbors.

As I write this, I just had a brainstorm. Next time I am in a phone contest and
a station is splattering badly or has HORRIBLE audio, I will call him as if I am
going to work him. Then, when he comes back to me with his report, I will
respond by saying "I will only give you a report after you clean up your
signal."   Rats, why didn't I think of that sooner??!

  I have observed all competition rules as well as all regulations
  established for amateur radio in my country. My report is
  correct and true to the best of my knowledge. I agree to be
  bound by the decisions of the Contest Committee.

  Date : 2012-03-04        Signature :