[3830] ARRLDX SSB K0UK SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ukbrown@aol.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB K0UK SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2012 23:51:27 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: K0UK
Operator(s): K0UK
Station: K0UK

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: Colorado
Operating Time (hrs): 34hrs
Radios: SO2R

  160:    5     5
   80:   46    27
   40:  178    58
   20:  256    83
   15:  416    80
   10:  250    54
-------------------
Total: 1151   307  Total Score = 1,054,545

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Comments:

At first the xyl and I had thought about doing a Multi Op but she had to work
and just wasnt up to doing anything when she got home friday night and saturday
night. Sunday was church for her and I played on the radio. This was the first
single op over 20+ hours in many, many years.
 Started out on with 68Q the first hour with 15mtrs and 10mtrs getting the most
work. My last hour was good with 65Q between 15mtr and 10mtrs.  PLUS a 71Qhour
on 10mtrs at 23:00z Saturday which was a surprise for me. Glad to see 10mtrs
coming into its own. The VK and ZL were good here with lower tribander pointed
that way at 20ft helping...
 The other surprises that came from this test. My lower tribanders going into
EU and SA at times were better than the upper ones. I know its angle but that
was a sort of a surprise of late. Guess its the sunspots...
 Another was calling what seemed like weak EU on 15 and 20mtrs and having them
come back on LP 150wts albeit most had to get my call corrected. Seems my K
Zero United Kilo sounds like K 2 United Kilo or K 4 United Kilo..Hmmmm
 Insight..should have looked at 40mtrs LP which I didnot go to at all. My
bad..Plus should have called CQ looking at a receive freq below 7.100 which I
didnt. Nor did I look at any unusal opening at odd hours Which I didnt..Oh
well..
 My noise on 10/15/20/40 was the lowest I have heard in many months. Guess the
Lord was looking out for me. But on 160mtrs its still hot and heavy. Had to use
the noise blanker to keep some line noise out but made copy on weak ssb signal
impossible. Thus I only worked the real 5/9 signals on that band.
  Oh, the wx was not a factor here. Snow static was minimal if any at all.
 I want to thank all the JA's, EU and SA worked. Made a effort to work all the
SA I could on all the bands. Also could have gotten more out of 160/80/40 if I
had stayed in the chair longer..Old age or lack of motivation  hmmmmm...
 Thanks to the xyl and kids at home for letting me work this one. Plus I didnt
get any calls from neighbors this time what so ever. Oh my east neighbors plama
tv was a pain on 20mtrs on some freqs where Mults were setting. Mosttimes the
signals were strong enough to over come or I had to listen on another tribander
thats physically further to east which help attenuate the TV Plasma noise. The
Plasma noise is another urban issue that I don't wish on anyone.
 OK had fun Praise the Lord.See you in the next one.... PTL bill K0UK