[3830] ARRLDX SSB VP9I M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w6ph@aol.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB VP9I M/S LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 14:03:56 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: VP9I
Operator(s): W6PH  N6WIN
Station: VP9I

Class: M/S LP
QTH: Bermuda
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:  296    40
   80:  448    50
   40: 1078    58
   20: 2000    61
   15: 1013    55
   10:  236    36
-------------------
Total: 5071   300  Total Score = 4,563,900

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Radio: K3   N1MM Logger

Antennas:  160m      Inv L (40 ft vertical)
            80m      Double G5RV dipole
            40m      KA Dipole
            20m-10m  Cushcraft A4S

I had originally planned a SO as I have for the last 11 years.  Tim, N6WIN, had
operated with us at our K6Z County Expedition (Cal QSO Party) and mentioned that
he would like to go on a contest expedition.  One thing led to another and we
decided to team up for the ARRL DX Phone under M/S splitting our operating time
50/50.  Tim made up a schedule which allowed us to operate the same times on one
day or the other.  We used four or six hour operating times and it worked out
very well.

Last year I started on 40m and had a 200 hour.  So we thought that would be a
good start.  But we didn't know how bad the lower bands were going to be and we
were 300 contacts behind my last year operation at sunrise on Saturday.  The low
bands were just noisy and weak.  Saturday night was much different and the low
bands seemed normal which allowed us to work many stations in the west that we
hadn't been able to work on Friday night.  In retrospect we should have started
on 20 meters.

Despite being behind on Saturday morning, the high bands were very productive
during the day on Saturday and we were able to work most of the US on 10m
except for the southeast (W4 land) and the northwest.  W1, W2, and W3 were
workable but not as strong as the Caribbean stations experienced.  After the
first 24 hours we were back up to only 100 contacts behind.  As a single op, I
usually sleep from 04 UTC until 09 UTC.  Tim had that shift and we were 200
contacts ahead by sunrise.  However, band conditions on the upper bands had
deteriorated and we only worked about 15 stations on 10m on Sunday due to the
poor propagation.  I had originally set a goal of 5000 Qs and Tim had said
6000.  With only 3 hours to go it looked like we were both wrong as we only had
about 4500 Qs.  From past experience I knew that the closing hours could be very
productive on 20m and we had our best consecutive three hours on 20m.  I was in
the seat.  At 22 UTC, I grabbed Tim and told him to operate the next hour so he
could see how well we were doing.  I finished up the last hour with 160
contacts.

The QTH of VP9GE is on a rise about 150 feet above sea level and the antennas
are roughly 20 to 30 feet high and the sea is about 400 meters away.  It is a
very good location for low power (the permitted power limit in VP9).

We don't have the propagation that the Caribbean stations have which is a
handicap.  We have better propagation on 160 and 80 because of our proximity to
the US but never get the volume of contacts to offset the Caribbean advantage on
15 and 10 meters.

Tim was a great partner and has great contesting skills.  Our numbers were
pretty much equal in all respects.  This was my first shot at a small multi
operation and I thought it was very successful, especially letting me get some
rest!

This was my 12th year operating the ARRL DX Contests from VP9GE.  Ed has been a
great host and just an exceptional person all the way around.  Ask anyone who
has ever been there.

                        73, Kurt, W6PH