[3830] Rus DX K8AZ(K8MR) SO Mixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jimk8mr@aol.com
Subject: [3830] Rus DX K8AZ(K8MR) SO Mixed HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 07:34:10 -0700
                    Russian DX Contest

Call: K8AZ
Operator(s): K8MR
Station: K8AZ

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: Ohio
Operating Time (hrs): 19
Radios: SO2R

  160:    7      0        2         0
   80:   43      2       25         1
   40:  223     77       54        24
   20:  336    165       63        41
   15:   57     20       27         1
   10:   47     14       10         0
Total:  713    278      181        67  Total Score = 1,179,736

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

I operate the major DX contests as part of the K8AZ multiop team, so I need some
good single op efforts for WRTC qualification. Fortunately Tom opened up his
excellent station for me to do a S/O effort on one of his normal non-contest
invasion weekends.

Conditions obviously were not up to what we had hoped for, but at least we
missed the worst of the solar storms from earlier in the week. QRN levels were
also quite high on the lower bands.

It was interesting to be on the less than good geographical end in this one -
working Russians through the much closer Europeans, and working EU who for much
of the time were pointing their antennas towards RU and/or had louder QRM from
the east. But it was an easier contest with only 24 hours and a morning start
time, and finding and defending frequencies was not nearly as difficult as in
the majors.

I made it through EU sunrise as planned, took a nap, woke up at 09Z to find the
bands empty. So I worked the few guys who were still around, then headed home.

73  -  Jim   K8MR