[3830] BARTG AA5AU SO Expert HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, aa5au@bellsouth.net
Subject: [3830] BARTG AA5AU SO Expert HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 19:38:01 -0700
                    BARTG HF RTTY Contest

Call: AA5AU
Operator(s): AA5AU
Station: AA5AU

Class: SO Expert HP
QTH: LA
Operating Time (hrs):
Radios: SO2R

   80:    6       1          4
   40:   94      10         15
   20:  397      34         24
   15:  280      44         25
   10:   31      10          9
-----------------------------------
Total:  808      99         77  Continents = 6  Total Score = 853,248

Club: Louisiana Contest Club

Comments:

The main objectives in this contest was to do some beta testing for WriteLog and
practice SO3R. Conditions were lousy on all bands with lots of noise. The beta
testing for WriteLog went well but took some time away from operating while I
compiled some results data. The SO3R practice went well too, but a little tough
since rarely were there three bands open at the same time. At one time on
Saturday, the only band open was 20 meters. I think 10 and 15 were actually
better on Saturday despite there being better numbers (SFI, A, K index) on
Sunday.

Since I was running SO3R, two radios were low power since they shared the
tribander through the Dunestar low power HF duplexer which has proved that it
was a worthy purchase. I could have run high power SO2R, but SO3R practice was
more important to me. There were a couple of times when 3 bands were open at
the same time - either 10, 15 & 20, or 20, 40 & 80. But I didn't operate much
at night since I had other obligations and this was just a part time effort.

Loved working 9M6XRO, V85/WX8C, DV1JM and YB8EL on 15. And having 4Z4DX answer
my CQ Sunday on 15 was great too since the band was so poor. But the highlight
was having Gary AL9A answer me on 15, then a few minutes later see him S&P on
20. So I jumped up the band on one of the low power radios and called CQ and he
came right back to me. I call it "fishing" and I caught him for a new
multiplier.

Congrats to John, WA5ZUP, who had the highest serial number I saw all weekend
when he was over 1000 Qs Sunday afternoon. I tried to keep pace but too many
other things to do like go to church, go to the grocery (twice), and watch
NASCAR & basketball on TV.

Thanks to everyone who participated and thanks to BARTG for sponsoring the
contest. It's an "oldie but goodie".

73, Don AA5AU