[3830] WPX SSB N4WW SO(A)AB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n4ww@earthlink.net
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB N4WW SO(A)AB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 01:05:58 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: N4WW
Operator(s): N4WW
Station: N4WW

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: apopka,fl
Operating Time (hrs): 30

------------
  160:    0
   80:   19
   40:  412
   20:  523
   15: 1203
   10:  129
------------

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Always mixed feelings with any serious effort. My wife really questions my
sanity. Mr Hyde that dastardly dxer has to be accounted for. He spent most of
the weekend harrassing my long time friend K0LUZ. Mr "RUN" man himself. I think
being at my house during contests Mr Hyde the dxer rubbed off on him. I spotted
Gary the run man Saturday morning on 10 meters after working
d2qv,v55v,j52hf,zu6kb,ed9z,cn2r. (find those africans in arrl dx....whoops I
digress). He proclaims he is not working anyone in europe or north america!! I
was in shock. I have to usually push myself to run enough to beat him when we
compete and he still usually beats me with his 1500 run qso's and I have my
usual 750 qso's and 750 prefixs. So the pressure was off. The other competitor
n6ar took the weekend off also. No pressure to get beat by the tribander with
dipoles on 80/40 (similar age contester).

I had a very slow start and in retrospect could have gave AD4Z a run at 8
million plus if I would have spent friday night on 40. A lot of my off time was
Friday night. And almost no 40. 40 meters is not for the faint hearted on ssb.
It is wall to wall mayhem. If we  could just add another 200 khz it would be so
much better.

I am fairly happy with my 7 million points and may never do it again single op.
It is a grind. I noticed that I was actually feeling stiff when I got up to
stretch. What a weird feeling. I almost SO2R operated but decided Mr Hyde would
not be proud of my effort so went assisted. It would have been nice to not get
buried in the back of contest results with multi/multi and multi singles. Heh,
I am a single op put my results up front with all those pitiful qrp single op
scores.

3830 has it right listing the pros first. Who cares who wins QRP I want to see
who wins the Yankees/Red sox match up first. (K3LR vs W3LPL)

Probably a waste of time but band by band break down for those maybe seriously
operating wpx cw.

No 160

80 had a lot of weather noise. Only europe qsos. Probably waste of time for
single op. Unfortunately we will be there battling on 80 multi 2.

40...MAYHEM. No split qso's in the entire contest. I think this is the first
wpx ssb contest that I have never qsoed someone split. With big antennas on 40
it is run run run. I had a pileup that was unbelievable at times. Even V55V
called me! Plus one of the HZ ops. I really struggled to find a clear spot I am
sure someone up north doesnt like n4ww because I just couldnt hear any clear
frequency. Second night I worked hard on 40 and the score really jumped. I
needed 250,000 points to get to 7 mill with 40 minutes left in contest and I
made right move to 40 and broke the 7 mill. Looking at rare dx and not much to
be proud of v55v and 6v7z and rest all euros and NA. Didnt operate early
morning opening to asia I was too busy on 20 and second night slept.

20...open all night but still hard to get runs to europe going from 0500 to
1100. 15 really didnt open good either to well after sun was up for good runs.
Exotic dx by the plenty as over the north pole was wide open from 2300 to well
past 0500z. jt5dx,lots of by's fk8ik called me as well as b1z. Really big vk/zl
signals from 0500 to 1100z and scattering of JA's.

15...MONEY. What a weekend for 15. Runs unbelievable. Surprised me at 1923
vu2abs calls me. I said are you really in India it must be past midnight in
India. He assured me he was in India and he is in the log. After about 1300z to
say 1600z lots of over the pole dx like UN and UP Kazakh stations called me and
lots of ua9/ua0. Heck even e21eic called and gave me a much appreciated e21
prefix. What a weekend for 15 must of stayed open well past 0200. JA runs were
light in number and didnt usually start until 2100 but nice to see our friends
in JA land back with prop. Congrats to k4xs 8 million points on 15. That is a
lot of sitting for what must have been a solid 16 hours each day on one band.

10 meters had to be ignored because 15 just too good. I did make to 2-3 quick
trips to 10. 1200 -1600 no euros to speak of. I qsoed cn2r at 1350 and he said
I was his first USA qso.Around 1530 to maybe 1800 europe came through and got
answers to cqs mostly west europe but nothing close to runs on 15 so went back
to the money band.

73 doc n4ww