[3830] WPX SSB ZL/VO1AU(@ZL1AIH) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vo1au@rac.ca
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB ZL/VO1AU(@ZL1AIH) SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 03:04:05 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: ZL/VO1AU
Operator(s): VO1AU
Station: ZL1AIH

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: RF73gg
Operating Time (hrs): 36

------------
  160:    0
   80:    2
   40:  299
   20:  965
   15:  396
   10:  563
------------

Club: East Coast Canada Contest Club

Comments:

Thank you to Ken ZL1AIH and his daughter Helen for letting me use Ken's station
and for keeping me fed throughout the contest.  Thank you also to Jacky ZL3CW
and Aki ZL1GO for leaving the way clear for me to use Ken's station, which may
of you know as ZM1A.

Congratulations to Holger ZL3IO for his excellent Low Power score, some 1Meg
more than my High Power score.  This shows what a great operator with great
antennas from a great location can do with great knowledge of propagation.

It was a great experience to try the WPX from the other side of the planet, and
this was a tremendous lesson in how different propagation dictates a different
strategy.  I made big mistakes in choosing my off-times.

It was a real treat to work so many friends in Canada and other places from New
Zealand.  Thank you to Dan VO1MX and Mike VA3MW for sending me recordings of my
signal.  I was thrilled to be able to give my good friend and budding DXer Ron
VE3REV his best DX QSO so far.  He has discovered contests are good places to
work DX.

Finding the right times to work Europe was an enigma.  Most of western Europe
is at that funny distance just short of the true antipode, where it's very hard
to predict the beam heading.  From New Zealand, it seems the best heading to
Europe could be short path, long path, or just about any other bearing.  EB8AH
could be heard on 10m at almost any time of day, from almost any direction.
This is a truly novel concept for a Canadian.  The antipode for most of us is
the southern Indian Ocean, so we almost never get the experience antipodial
propagation.

My rig was a TS-590 with a heavily modified Drake L4B amplifier.  The antennas
were a 2el Quad 15m above ground for 10, 15 and 20m, a 2el shortened yagi 15m
above ground for 40m, and a vertical for 80m.

Contrary to several spots, I was not in ZL7 for this contest.  I was there two
weeks ago, though.