[3830] GaQP N4TOL Single OpMixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, IAM4RB@AOL.COM
Subject: [3830] GaQP N4TOL Single OpMixed LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 11:26:00 -0700
                    Georgia QSO Party

Call: N4TOL
Operator(s): N4TOL
Station: N4TOL

Class: Single OpMixed LP
QTH: Fannin County
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:      1
   80:     22       18
   40:     54      206
   20:      5        6
   15:      1       10
   10:               2
    6:
------------------------
Total:     83      242  CW-Dig Mults = 9  Ph Mults = 34  Total Score = 17,544

Club: Georgia Tech Radio Club

Comments:

What a weekend in the hills of Fannin County.  Operating from a remote cabin in
the mountains with Murphy as a guest.

Initial setup on Friday evening exposed a Vibroplex that wouldnâ??t key.  First
thought was, oh no! No CW this weekend.  A quick check showed bad solder
connection on plug, quickly remedied.

Contest starts on Saturday, with low audio output from headset, with some RF.
Quick troubleshooting while contest progresses yields no solution.  I have used
this headset dozens of times from this locale with no issues.  So substitute
with hand mike and still a little RF, but adequate audio.  Of course, no hands
free logging now, so one hand entry for remainder of contest.

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished â?" to keep the peace, I break from chair around
7:00 (prime contest hours) to take the XYL down mountain on the gravel road for
dinner in Blue Ridge.  Heading back up the gravel slope at nightfall we
encounter debris/hazard on hill and blow out driver front tire.  Able to pull
off to driveway of vacant cabin, and XYL and I proceed about ¼ mile up steep
incline with dying flashlight.  Back on air at 9:00 and good run of contacts
for remainder of evening, almost.

Around 11:30 trusty â??oldâ?? laptop freezes.  Frantic, begin to log last half
hour manually, and trying to decode dupes from memory.  Thank you Mr. Murphy.

After midnight reboot of laptop is successful and data transfer is made to new
netbook machine carried along as backup (which had logging software pre-loaded
as well, Boy Scout training â?" take that Mr. Murphy).  So we were ready to go
on Sunday, albeit with a smaller screen and keyboard.

Sunday in the hills â?" dreams of coffee in the rocker enjoying the view
waiting for noon are laid to rest by slogging down the hill to change tire and
assess damage.  Nothing major and truck makes it back up to site.  Showered and
ready by noon to hit it again.

It was great to work all the familiar call signs.  Highlights were working
VK4FD on ten meters, who answered my call which turned into a 10 minute rag
chew.  Also, following K4R (W5JR) on Saturday night all across the state.

Canâ??t wait until next year!!  John N4TOL