[3830] GaQP W4AN/M(K4BAI) Rover Single OpCW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4bai@att.net
Subject: [3830] GaQP W4AN/M(K4BAI) Rover Single OpCW LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 05:45:52 -0700
                    Georgia QSO Party

Call: W4AN/M
Operator(s): K4BAI
Station: K4ETY/M

Class: Rover Single OpCW LP
QTH: 40 GA counties
Operating Time (hrs): 17:47

  160:       0      0
   80:      34      0
   40:     522      0
   20:    1181      0
   15:       0      0
   10:       0      0
    6:       0      0
------------------------
Total:    1737      0  CW-Dig Mults = 46  Ph Mults = 0  Total Score = 159,804

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

TS480, screwdriver, K8RA mini paddle, manual keying with internal keyer in rig.

KU8E and I have been going out mobile in GQP for years, although last year it
was N4DU and myself in KU8E's car with his antennas and rig.  Since last year,
Jeff has sold the car with the mobile installation. So we planned to each
operate at home.  Jeff hopes that we will be /M again in time for FQP at the
end of this month.

A couple of SSB operators in the local Columbus Amateur Radio Club, Paul, K4ETY
and Bryan, N4DTV, planned to go mobile on SSB in the GQP and, when they found I
was planning to stay home, invited me to go along.  They set up Paul's GMC
Yukon with a computer system for two stations, an internet hot spot through
Verizon, and two rigs.  I was to run CW with a screwdriver antenna on a trailer
hitch on the back of the car and they had hamstick antenna with a base on the
front bumper.  We got a bit of a late start, but I was making a lot of QSOs
from our home county while we went around town getting stuff and getting set
up.  Bryan tried to make some SSB QSOs, but had interference from the CW
station and couldn't hear the SSB signals clearly enough to make any QSOs, so
the planned changed and they became driver, navigator, and technical support
for my single op CW effort.  They did a fantastic job and I thank them.  We
used the SECC club call, W4AN/M. All QSLs should go to K4BAI.  We were QRV in
40 GA counties.  A number of adversities were overcome.  I damaged or destroyed
my notebook computer when a Diet Coke spewed liquid all over me and the computer
keyboard when the can was opened.  Bryan immediately switched to one he had
brought and we hardly missed a beat.

The transceiver had no CW filter and the car was very noisy, as well as a lot
of power line noise from time to time.  I apologize to those I was unable to
hear and log, particularly VK4AAR.  I heard him calling but couldn't figure out
his call until I was reading someone else's contest report.

When on 80M, the RF seemed to be interfering with the car's computer, so I was
able to operate 80M only in the last county Saturday night while we were parked
in the parking lot of the IHOP in Valdosta (LOWN county).  We seemed to get out
OK on 80, 40, and 20 with two Europeans worked on 80.  I tried 15 a few time on
each day with no QSOs.  The rate was so good on 40 and 20 that 15 wasn't needed
to keep up the rate.  Maybe next year.

I know working weak mobile is a special challenge for DX stations and want to
thank the following for multiple QSOS:  DL3DXX (37), OM2VL (31), DL3GA (17),
G3XVR (13), HK3Q (14), SP5SA (12), ON4AAC (11), DL6KVA (6), YV5OIE (5), DJ9MH
(5), DK2OY (4), UA3AGW (2), DL3IAC (2).  Also, a nice surprise caller was
VP2MFF from the Montserrat DXpedition team.  And old friends OK1CZ, PA3ARM,
G3WPF, and VP9KF among others.

Again, great thanks to K4ETY and N4DTV, who made the operation possible and
successful.  Hope to work you all in FQP and also in CQ WPX CW from NQ4I.

73, John, K4BAI.