[3830] MiQP K1TN Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jamesdavidcain@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] MiQP K1TN Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 01:42:48 -0700
                    Michigan QSO Party

Call: K1TN
Operator(s): K1TN
Station: K1TN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Wisconsin
Operating Time (hrs): 4

   80:   31     23
   40:   63     38
   20:
   15:
   10:
--------------------
Total:   94     61  CW Mults = 46  Ph Mults = 31  Total Score = 19,173

Club:

Comments:

Always nice to have such great CW mobile ops. K8MR and W1NN sure get around.
K8IR and NE9U both had great ears too (both were very weak here, probably too
close in).

I used the day to break in a new radio. I downsized (down-dollared) from an
Elecraft K3 to a Kenwood TS590S. I had used the K3 for nearly three years. Make
no mistake, the Kenwood is no K3 but it's a respectable radio, especially since
the price has come down a little since its introduction.

I don't like SSB operating, not a bit, but I wanted to see if the new radio
worked on 'phone, so I gritted my teeth for 61 Qs. I didn't like how the radio
sounded on SSB (receive) and it's sure not as easy to find good settings as on
the K3. I did get compliments on the TX audio though (with Heil boomset and
contest element).

Almost nobody I worked on SSB knew how to work a phone contest. I may be mired
in the CW Age but I know how to work phone efficiently. I wanted to lecture
them but didn't. I used to point out errors in restaurant menus, too, but
nobody appreciated my "help."

The 590S QSK is not as smooth as the K3. The auto antenna tuner doesn't have
nearly the range (and isn't as smooth). The front panel labels are hard for me
to see. And so on. But I can probably live with it.

I'll save the rest for an eHam review.

I did find a good home for my K3 and when you hear it in upcoming contests it
will be a LOT louder than it ever was from here at The Superstation.

I sold my little ALS-600 amp, too. With nothing but a low dipole here the extra
power helped in some contests at some times. But it just seemed I had an awful
lot invested in equipment while having such a crummy antenna, and no chance
I'll ever put up "real" antennas here.

One event got me thinking about downsizing. In the ARRL DX CW back in February
I stumbled on E21EIC CQing with a good signal high in the band on 20. I
immediately called him and I was the only one calling (one of the advantages of
QSK). He CQed three or four times in my face and I couldn't believe it! Then he
just disappeared. This happens to me all time on BY stations, too (for
example). I just decided that without (at least) a small tribander what's the
point?

Jim Cain
At the Downsized K1TN Superstation
In Wisconsin