[3830] NewEngQP AB1OD Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, mda@ab1od.org
Subject: [3830] NewEngQP AB1OD Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 18:58:50 -0700
                    New England QSO Party

Call: AB1OD
Operator(s): AB1OD
Station: AB1OD

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: HAR CT
Operating Time (hrs):

   80:     28        9
   40:     72       57
   20:    115       48
   15:     31       16
   10:      7        0
------------------------
Total:    253      130  Mults = 383  Total Score = 33,264

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

(I'm trusting that N1MM's score calculation, given the number of joint 7QP/NEQP
and INQP/NEQP contacts in the log.)

I should apologize to those who worked (or attempted to work) me while I was
running CW.  You see, while I am fortunate to be skilled in certain
areas...when it comes to languages, spelling and rhythm, I suck.  Morse code
lies at the center of the Venn diagram of many of my weaknesses.  But, ever
since it dawned on me that DXing and contests are much more fun if you can
operate CW, I've had a masochistic determination to get some level of
proficiency.

This weekend marked the first time I've spent attempting to run CW for any
length of time.  I've tried running a couple of times in the past...and I
quickly realized that I still needed to crawl a bit longer.  Many stations that
worked me can probably attest that I am still not ready to run...but at least
this weekend I was willing to get up and stagger on after falling flat on my
face.  :)

This weekend was also notable for another reason -- the stork, cleverly
disguised as a UPS guy, delivered to me a bouncing baby K3 recently.  This
weekend's contests were its first workout.  There have been a few moments of
operator error in reconfiguring software and generally getting used to the new
baby, but it's probably better to get over the worst of it now, before WPX CW.
 Perhaps one day I'll become a decent enough operator to merit the rig.

Lots of activity Saturday, not much on Sunday.  20 and 40 were typically busy,
15 was a quiet (away from the 7O6T mega-pileup).  10 was virtually dead.  80
seemed a little lean.  Locally, the noise level on 15 and 20 were elevated, but
80 seemed not-horrible.  I had planned to spend some time fishing for Q's with
RTTY, but ARI DX congestion interfered with the idea Saturday, and on Sunday
6O7T fired up their RTTY station.

The new antenna I put up a couple of weeks ago came in handy for a few
contacts, particularly on 40m.  Definitely not as good as a beam, but given the
restrictions imposed by spouse, town, and proximity to an airport, I'll take
what I can get.

Thanks for the Q's; see you during the WPX-CW.

Rig: K3-100
Antennas: 80m Carolina Windom @ 65'; 160m Carolina Windom @ 35'