[3830] WPX CW NV1N(N1UR) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, edsawyer@sbelectronics.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW NV1N(N1UR) SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 04:08:08 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: NV1N
Operator(s): N1UR
Station: N1UR

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: VT
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    0
   80:    2
   40:  536
   20:  627
   15:  939
   10:   32
------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Wow, what a weekend.  I have been waiting for this kind of
WPX conditions for the past 7 years that I have had my
current station here at N1UR.  The problem in the past has
always been having consistant EU with the summer conditions
and the typically lower US participation because of the
holiday weekend.  Well EU delivered big time this weekend.

Despite knowing 20M would be wide open to EU at the start, I
decided to open on 40M for the 6 pointers.  This was somewhat
of a leap of faith since I knew 20M would produce good opening
numbers but I also knew that 20M should be open for many many
hours to EU and 40M would not be (00 - 05Z each day).  I was
rewarded with 4 solid hours of 80 plus on 40M and 95% were 6
pointers.  In fact, my point per Q average ended up at 3.16
total (all bands) for the weekend, amazing...

Prefixes continue to rise for this contest.  The Europeans in
general have lots of prefixes emerging, so I expect to see the
scores to continue to rise as long as conditions are good for
this (we can hope another 3 years eh?)

Had a few small but nice JA runs but were overall disappointed
on the volume of JA answers despite some loud signals answering
on 20 and 15M.  I am sure that others did way better to JA than
me.  JA is not my best direction.  If angles are low to JA, I
am toast.  And in this contest, JA is a great prefix source.

I see Marv, N5AW, checked in with the most amazing score.
Totally crushing the 5 land record and beating the uSA low
power record.  And a seriously contending for the win.  I
knew when I worked Marv on Saturday, he was there for "all
the marbles" on this one. We ended up with virtually the same
Qs but Marv had way more prefixes.  My EU numbers made the
difference.  But having slacked off for even a second, would
have cost me.  Congrats on a killer score Marv!

I also worked W3EF late in the contest.  I was 7 Qs ahead at
the time time (roughly 22Z on day 2).  It will be interesting to
see where Maury is on this.  Very well could be a log checking
decision on this one.  Then again, with N5AW's prefix count,
the Low Power total could exceed 6 Million, who knows.

Last year, I spent this weekend fixing my antenna farm from a
lightning hit.  After seeing the write-ups, I wasn't sorry I
made the decision (was too crippled at the time to contend
anyway).  What a difference a year makes.

I continue to believe that contesting is a fantastic game.
You compete, really, against yourself, during the weekend, then
at the end you also see how you faired vs the competition. This
year I was totally satisfied with my result, a good feeling.

Next up IARU.

73, Ed  NV1N (N1UR)