[3830] WPX CW N2WN SOAB(TS) QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW N2WN SOAB(TS) QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 05:27:08 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: N2WN
Operator(s): N2WN
Station: N2WN

Class: SOAB(TS) QRP
QTH: Grainger Co., TN
Operating Time (hrs): 35:41

------------
  160:    3
   80:   13
   40:  247
   20:  255
   15:  415
   10:  101
------------

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

The plan here was to top my score last year, make 1000 QSOs and 500 multipliers.
Mission Accomplished, beat my score about 0200Z Sunday. Took a look at the QRP
records during a break and figured I had a shot at breaking it, we'll see how
LCing turns out. I know I busted one QSO and will lose the multiplier (stoopid
move on my part), figure the rest were pretty solid, mid contest brain farts
are possible ;o)

OK the story was 15 was the place to be. It seemed to be open to someplace
around the clock. 20 was the same, but not as good, unless one counts Asia, and
I do! The many Asian QSOs were a real thrill. 10 never quite got going, but
there were several good openings and plenty of SA stations to work. 40 was
still important and was tickled with a few QSOs there 4X0W was worked (couldn't
land him elsewhere). TM3Q was the best DX on a disappointing noisy 80M. The low
bands in general were open but very noisy here.

The station played well, noted high SWR on 160, looks like I weed whacked my
ground lead, fixed it during a break but it didn't matter. SO2R would have
helped, need to finish projects up and get them integrated. As always, timing
is critical running QRP, I worked the multiplier stack harder this year and it
paid dividends.

Ran into John, K4BAI just before the start and had a little chat. Hope he and
the NQ4I team had luck with their record attempt. I feel for the 160M guys...

Some highlights:
HK1NA was everywhere, only DX heard on 160.
Thanks to the many JAs and Asiatic Russians worked on 20 and 15!
There were many what can be best described as "cluster run" frequencies with
multiple stations stacked on each other (and not hearing each other) one was a
pleasant surprise with TX8CW discovered.
A71EM was my best catch on 10.
3V8BB was frequently heard (and worked on 3 bands).
4L0A was solid everywhere I heard them.
UU7J had a MEGA signal for a short time, but couldn't land him on 10.
Biggest frustrating multiplier was ST2AR, heard him 40 through 10, great signal
too, but no joy until near the end of the contest. Africa and Asia Minor can be
tough with the high noise they endure.
Worked Gene, KB7Q, who was running a remote K3.
Fun DX included: A65BD, 7Z1SD,

Lessons learned:
QRS does work, and it made a big difference more than once. Of course, speed
makes a difference too. Learn when to use them. Towards the end, the high speed
bursts were tougher for me to copy.
Always, Always, ALWAYS turn your antenna when you think you've worked out, or a
band sounds "dead". Some of my best multipliers were found listening towards
Asia and the Pacific.
Just because W4 and WB8 are common in the real world, doesn't mean they're
common in WPX ;o) (Where were you Rick?? hihi)
Listen.

Thanks to the many good ears, friendly folks, folks who came on for a little
while to had out juicy multipliers and everyone who played. My logs will be
posted to LoTW and eQSL later.

Station:
Elecraft K3, a many filtered beast.
4 element Steppir @ about 52'
80M dipole
40M vertical with two raised radials (allegedly this is a lousy antenna, I beg
to differ)
160M Tee

72 and see ya down the log,
Julius