[3830] WPX CW WU3A(W3UA) SO(A)AB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w3ua@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] WPX CW WU3A(W3UA) SO(A)AB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 08:08:35 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: WU3A
Operator(s): W3UA
Station: W3UA

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: NH
Operating Time (hrs): 36

------------
  160:    0
   80:    2
   40:  533
   20:  732
   15: 1503
   10:   44
------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Both the station and operator were not prepared for these great conditions.
Should not complain about the ordinary stuff (two S9 noise sources were fixed
by National Grid -- FIVE other to go. I bet I have more fox hunting experience
than anybody else in the vicinity -- and property owners along the A201 and
B202 power lines are getting used to strange guys browsing around their lots
with strange antennas, scopes and other RFI sniffing gizmos ;) ). I just want
to explain that my constant requests to re-send serial numbers were mostly
attributed not to my inability to copy Morse code, but to constant drop-outs of
dots and dashes due to the fluctuating 120-Hz modulated noise floor. Someone
even asked me, why do I send that fast (however, I usually do not do QRQ --
just 30 WPM) if I can't copy. What could I say... Despite my best efforts, I
think that my score would be reduced greatly due to the serial number
errors...

Lighting strike which hit my station two weeks before the WPX SSB caused such a
damage, that NU3C, who worked on my station repairs for the whole two weeks,
couldn't fix everything. Melted (literally!) relays in most of the 4SQ and
stack phasing boxes; more than 50 switching transistors, two completely and two
partially destroyed computers, SO2R controller, even the chassis of the
industrial computer which controls the switching... small part of the list.

But even all the troubles couldn't prevent me from having fun. Yes, this year I
was not (again) competitive, but the returned spots helped my to make my
personal best. I was admiring the guys from the Spotless League, and indeed
could not even try to compete with NY3A this year -- but I did my best.
Hopefully, by the CQ WW I would fix the remaining hardware issues, and try to
convince National Grid to repair five more RFI polluting towers...