[3830] WPX CW N1LN SO(A)AB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bemeier@bellsouth.net
Subject: [3830] WPX CW N1LN SO(A)AB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 19:08:08 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: N1LN
Operator(s): N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: SO(A)AB LP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 31
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    0
   80:   17
   40:  452
   20:  443
   15:  598
   10:   90
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

My first low power entry.

Last year we entered in the M2 class. This year the team was not able to come
together, so I decided to enter as a single op. Then, to stay with doing
something totally different, I went a bit farther and left the amps off and ran
low power.  Assuming the rates might not be  as good running low power, I
decided to run assisted.  These changes really made for a totally different
view.

I was right about running being more difficult.  Although some good runs were
had on 40, 20 and 15, the rates were typically between 80 and 10o.  There were
a few exceptions, but for the most part they lasted less than one hour. Why?
Well, when you run low power you are at the mercy of the BIG stations from both
sides of the pond that seem to always want your frequency.  Being stronger, they
most often won. QRL or please QSY were wasted requests. Very disappointing.

Another reason the runs did not last long was because as I was running
assisted, I was watching the DX cluster spots for new mults.  When running high
power I am quite used to being able to quickly jump to a newly spotted mult,
make 1 call, work the Q and jump back before losing the frequency.  Not always
true when running low power. That did occur, but by exception.  The more normal
occurrence was to jump off a run frequency and having to make several calls
before finally working the new mult. By then, the old run frequency was gone.
So, I quickly stopped doing that.  Instead of watching the cluster for spots,
when my run frequency was lost, due to reasons explained above, I would look
for mults the old fashioned way by searching and pouncing.  Actually, that
turned out to me much more productive and enjoyable.  Being able to run SO2R
really helped because I could easily search and pounce on both rigs at the same
time.  The rate was pretty good and the competition for mults was much less.

The final disadvantage had nothing to do with the power level. I am definitely
not able to work a 48 hour contest alone.  I really wanted to keep my BIC for
the allowable 36 hours, but in the end I was quite happy to see that N1MM
indicated 31 hours. Most of the day on Sunday I would operate for about 30
minutes then take a walk around the house. The off time was not enough to count
as an official break so the clock kept running.  To keep me in the chair I
finally set a target QSO count and mult count. This worked because I like
competition and I was in competition with myself.  However, because 15 meters
was in such great shape, I reached those goals around 2200 UTC.  Even if I
stayed in the chair my total hours would not have made the 36, so I
rationalized that my goals were attained and shut down.

In summary.  As everyone said, the bands were in excellent condition for the
entire weekend.  If I ever run single op low or high power again, I will not be
assisted.  I enjoyed my first contest with the new K3 version 4.51 firmware.
The changes to the AGC makes a great rig even better. And, I am looking forward
to the next contest that will once again be a multi-op entry.

Thanks to everyone for the Qs and the fun weekend.

73,
Bruce, N1LN