[3830] All Asian CW WN6K SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, WN6K@sbcglobal.net
Subject: [3830] All Asian CW WN6K SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 17:13:51 -0700
                    All Asian DX Contest, CW

Call: WN6K
Operator(s): WN6K
Station: WN6K

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Vista, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 24:44

  160:    0     0
   80:    0     0
   40:  273    85
   20:  407   103
   15:  190    69
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  870   257  Total Score = 223,590

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

allasia 2012

XYL: Don't they know this weekend is Father's Day when they plan these
contests?
Me: (Sheepishly and with great caution) er no dear, it's just one of those
Hallmark American

Holidays the rest of the world knows little about.

That said I rolled up the sleeves and said let's get er done.  Mr. Sun said not
till I am done

with you Hallmark Heathens and burped not once but twice on the bands so bad
that at times, I

couldn't even hear the dog bark in the back yard.

First day (Friday PDT was well let's make hay on 15 early lest something cruel
does happen - and

got a hundred in the log but I could tell it was like fishing for trout and
only catching

whitefish instead.  The pickings and mults were thin.

Friday nite, I moved to 20 where it was at least semi-productive and about
1-1/2 before JA

sunset, i set the DB18 in that direction and began calling.  First JA was a
QRPer who I had

worked on 15m so I thougt great there's is hope.  In that I wasn't going to
battle (with a very

poor 80/160 alternative) in the low bands, 40 was going to be the basement as
it were.  Although

noisey, the combinaton of ability of running the full 200w of the FT-5000
(there is no LP

category for outside Asia, so one doesn't have to watch the output so
carefully) and the gain of

having a second element that is very directional was going to have to be the LP
effort as it

were. Kept on 40m till even 14 toothpicks in both eyelids could not keep them
open and I called

it a nite.

Slept till 1030 local and showered and found that 15 had a little life to it
(nothing on 10m the

couple of times I checked [N0RR reported that Saturday nite about 2100 local he
did work a JA

who was calling CQ - but only one - while he was causually cruising 10.] Hung
with 15 till just

after sundown but could tell most of the time that the influence of the TWO
CMEs and flare/storm

activity on the Sun was dominating the picture.  A quick look at the Solar info
on the packet

(yes Virginia, JARL says everyone can use packet without seperate status - no
Assisted) pretty

much told the continuing story of the weekend - SkyHigh A Index and
in"K"redable K numbers -

Worked 20m till hour before JA sunrise and then went to 40 as it seemed less
affected and stayed

there till a shot of $tarbuck$ was needed at our sunrise. Came back home and
scoured 40 a couple

of times to pick a few stragglers who never made it to my log.

Sundays are always "fun" anyway but with the bands being so what could one do.
Well XYL said

'bag it for a little while' and we headed off to iHOP with the daughter and
granddaughters. Upon

returning and finding only one or two that I had not already worked on 20, I
quit for the

morning. Showered and was watching the US OPEN a bit (hitting the greens at the
Olympic was

comparable to finding a mult on SUnday - next to impossible) when sleep
deprivation took over.

Got back on with 2 hours left to the contest calling on 15 and only 2 new
stations called - 2

others who called were dupes but one is happy to know that the watts is goin
somewhere's eh?

Oldest 'number' was 91 from 7J9AAD and youngest was 21 from Ja1ZFP.

That's All Folks - (Oh I wrote most of this while the CQ machine was
'exercising Sunday')

WN6K - Paul