[3830] All Asian CW W7RN(W1UE) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w1ue@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] All Asian CW W7RN(W1UE) SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 18:37:06 -0700
                    All Asian DX Contest, CW

Call: W7RN
Operator(s): W1UE
Station: W7RN

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: NV
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R

  160:    3     3
   80:  131    55
   40:  347   111
   20:  417   138
   15:  341   140
   10:   15    10
-------------------
Total: 1254   457  Total Score = 642,542

Club:

Comments:

Even with the propagation disturbance, it was a great time!

Started out on 15M, and had a first hour of 99.  I had heard that the
disturbance was coming, so I wanted to get as many Qs on the high bands as
quickly as possible.  I kept returning to 15M off and on until the 07Z hour,
when it finally petered out.  40M played well, and even 80/160 got into the
act.  Between running, duel CQing, and pouncing for mults, I went into my first
sleep from 14-16Z Saturday with 696 Qs in the log.

When I got back to the radio at 16Z on Saturday, things didn't sound the same.
Stations were still there, but they were weaker and even strong stations had
some minor flutter.  I kept working the 2nd radio for mults, duel CQing at
times, but things just weren't the same.  It wasn't easy like the first day had
been.  Still, when I went to my second rest time from 02-06Z Sunday there were
864 Qs in the log, so I felt that things were going well.

When I got back on the radio at 06Z, 20M was still the place to be.  After a
couple of hours, I started in on 40M and then 80M.  Qs kept piling up; I didn't
think about it at the time, but perhaps the geomagnetic disturbance drove more
stations to 40/80M because the high bands were so bad?  There seemed to be more
stations on 40/80 on Sunday, and I was able to add about 100 Qs every two hours.
 When I finally went to my third and last rest period, I had 1254 Qs and a score
of 642K already in the log.  Visions of 750K total score were now in my head!

Well, if you've seen my final score, you know what happened.  When I got back
from the rest period with 6 hours left in the contest, I didn't work a new
station.  I tried; I called CQ and tuned the bands intermittently for the next
6 hours without even one Q being produced.  My last QSO in the contest was made
almost 10 hours before the contest ended. Still, it was a satisfying contest.

I'd like to give a big thanks to Tom Taormina, K5RC/W7RN, for the use of his
great station.  I thoroughly enjoyed my contest and his hospitality here.

Dennis W1UE