[3830] All Asian CW KP2/K3TN(@KP2M) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] All Asian CW KP2/K3TN(@KP2M) SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 03:32:49 -0700
                    All Asian DX Contest, CW

Call: KP2/K3TN
Operator(s): K3TN
Station: KP2M

Class: SOAB HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 3

  160:
   80:
   40:   10     9
   20:   31    22
   15:  130    66
   10:
-------------------
Total:  171    97  Total Score = 16,587

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

We had just arrived for vacation in KP2 on Friday, and at about 0130z or so I
got a chance to get on 15m and experience the DX end of a pileup for the first
time. Having the AA CW contest be my first experience at that was interesting -
I quickly had an enormous pileup where 99.9% of the calls began with "J". It was
a real relief when a UA9 or RA0 would call in.

I settled down and had a 120 hour before the band petered out. I wouldn't have
much operating time during the day on Saturday, so I was really looking forward
to some great running on Saturday night - but Sol had other plans. The CME
really wiped things out, even from KP2. After that it was mostly S&P on 20 and
40 to work the loud JAs for a bit, as this was a family vacation with some
radio thrown in.

The KP2M station (www.radioreef.com) played fanstastic. Outside the contest I
had JAs booming in on 18M when I was running EU. During the AA one BY didn't
seem to grok my long KP2/K3TN call and kept saying "No No" when I answered his
CQs, and would then resume calling CQ AA.

The downside of this contest is how few exchanges begin with 2, 3, or 4 - I
thought Asia would have more young contesters.

John K3TN