[3830] IARU 4O3A(E73A/9A3A) SO CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, 5b4ada@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] IARU 4O3A(E73A/9A3A) SO CW HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 11:22:26 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: 4O3A
Operator(s): E73A/9A3A
Station: 4O3A

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: Obosnik
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

  160:    99    0       6       25
   80:   135    0      14       33
   40:   395    0      24       38
   20:   728    0      28       33
   15:   858    0      29       34
   10:   173    0      16       28
-------------------------------------
Total:  2388    0     117      191  Total Score = 2,334,640

Club: SKY Contest Club

Comments:

Instead of a small pistol fun as 4U1GSC, thanks to Ranko's new hobby and lack of
antennas for a serious M/S effort, I've got an opportunity for something a bit
more challenging - to operate IARU HF from the 4O3A super-station. The station
is still recovering from the damage sustained by bad weather in January, but
the main hardware outside is still not to be under-estimated.

The original plan to do a SOAB Mixed effort has been changed just a few minutes
before the contest due to uncertainties regarding the SO2R controller and no
time to test if phone devices all work (Ranko was absent, flying around
Obosnik). Most of the time antennas were fixed to NA and JA, so multiplier
score could have been better. Propagation and lack of the real SO2R practice
with Ranko's hardware are to blame too.... missed NU1AW/8 who called me but I
could not find Insert key (actually does not exist on 4O3A customized contest
keyboard). By the time I replied NU1AW/8 was gone!

During the first half propagation has been tolerable, quite a few NA stations
worked on 15, but with limited pile ups. At some points on Sunday signal levels
dropped drastically, allowing me to almost event more focus on R2 and work
whatever I could hear. Interesting opening to JA on 10m during the last contest
hours came as a reward for persistently using second radio, rather than focusing
on CQ.

I managed to bring HQ totals close to the last year 4O3A M/S effort (191 vs 195
HQs, 117 vs 146 zones), but considering that we had for the first time
interlocked in-band dipole antennas, access to the cluster and skimmer and had
a multiplier station within the contest rules, I wish I had more multipliers,
but I can't figure out how, because 419 QSOs seemed a reasonable number.
Without the second radio, with propagation like this weekend, at least my
enjoyment would have been greatly reduced.

To my surprise (or no surprise!) that was still not good enough and my
multiplier score sucks compared to some claimed scores.

After reading Willy's (UA9BA aka UP2L)comments I must disagree that SO2R should
be a separate category - I made over 400 real SO2R QSOs with the R2, which means
searched for and than copied all the stations by my own pair of ears, worked
simultaneously on the R1/R2 almost full time, even QSY-ed a few who were
willing to do so...If Willy was aiming at other technology advances hiding
behind the SO2R tick, as this is only hobby, a very specific one, maybe the
organizers can introduce special trophies for fair play because it is obvious
that fun is not enough for all of us, some are desperate for a piece of wood on
the wall at any expense.

Willy, my personal satisfaction is the fact I can "survive" cruel rules, stay
awake for 60 hours if required, but also to sleep well afterwards, not
expecting repercussions.

Thanks to Ranko for letting me use his super-station. As I still have a lot of
to learn this was yet another experience I will always remember. Special thanks
to Dragan, 4O4A, who met me in Bar, 4O and took me to the 4O3A location and
Rade, 4O/E74IW, for getting hardware stuff ready just in time.

73 Ivo I7/9A3A, E73