[3830] IARU M0DXR(@G3LDI) SO Mixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, mark.haynes@yahoo.co.uk
Subject: [3830] IARU M0DXR(@G3LDI) SO Mixed HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 14:46:00 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: M0DXR
Operator(s): M0DXR
Station: G3LDI

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: Norwich
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:    44     33     6       20
   80:   114    115    13       26
   40:   301     87    15       27
   20:   634    593    33       45
   15:   168    352    26       39
   10:    19     33     9       16
-------------------------------------
Total:  1280   1213   102      173  Total Score = 2,277,825

Club:

Comments:

Sorry for the lack of the breakdown - will update soon...

Drove up to Norfolk from Essex on Saturday morning getting there for 10am. I
had a very busy week at work, so was quite exhausted. But I wanted to put
energy in to this one as have been looking forward to it for a long time. My
wife Gemma 2E0WPX and our daughter Rebecca put up with me doing these events
and I could not wish for more understanding! :)

Had a blast in this contest from the G3LDI station in Norfolk. Roger was an
amazing host to me, keeping me well fed and watered. I did not need to leave
the chair apart from calls of nature!

Started on 15m with some nice Asian mults. Switched between the high bands
until 22:00z at which point decended to 40m. This band had the least effective
antenna of the station, but still worked quite well. It is a 20m Rhombic, which
loads on 40m. Struggled on 80m cw as the dipole resonated at 3730, so had to run
in the high part of the cw band segment at a high swr. Had a problem with the
amp. It ran fine on cw, but after 5 mins of SSB it would trip and take about 2
mins to reset. This seemed to becmoe a problem some time late evening on
Saturday. If overs were very short, it would last longer. Strange.
20m was nice, 15 good (best on 1st day). 10m was a bit disappointing, but
worked some good mults. I notice that my good friend Stewart GM3F (GM4APP Op)
has decent numbers on 10m - not in this part of the country! Had some very nice
runs on 20 to the states. Condx were noticably down on the Sunday as could be
seen by the sun numbers, but a high SFI kept it active enough to still be fun.

I just have to compliment my host for his cooking. A lovely fish lunch before
the contest started, and a superb chicken roast at the end. I apologise to him
for almost falling asleep at the table - it wasn't the food!

Many coffee's and water kept me going. Water is so important to keep hydrated,
so I came prepared with lots of bottles.

Here is a description of the station:
Rig: FT-2000
Mic: Heil Pro Plus with HC5
Antennas: 4 ele Steppir at 120ft, 20m full size Rhombic, dipole for 80m, loaded
tower for 160m.
Loggins s/w: N1MM

Thank you all for the QSOs. Contesting is just so much fun - every one is
different, and that's what keeps it so interesting.

73,
Mark M0DXR