[3830] CQWW VHF N8HM SOSB/2 QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n8hm@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW VHF N8HM SOSB/2 QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 14:28:39 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest

Call: N8HM
Operator(s): N8HM
Station: N8HM

Class: SOSB/2 QRP
QTH: Washington, DC
Operating Time (hrs): 0.5

    6:
    2:   4     4
-------------------
Total:   4     4  Total Score = 32

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

After spending most of yesterday working the NAQP RTTY contest, I decided to put
my Arrow 3-el satellite beam out on my south facing balcony (about 40 feet up)
and see what I could work with 5 watts SSB from my Yaesu FT-817. Listened for a
few minutes around noon today, but didn't hear anything. Checked the band again
just about a half-hour before the contest ended and heard activity. First QSO
was with KN4SM about 144 miles S of me, which was quite a thrill. Then I worked
N4HB, about 81 miles SSE, and W4RX, about 48 miles WNW. My final QSO was with
W3SO, about 137 miles NNW. Yet I never moved the beam from pointing directly
south! Thanks for the QSOs!

Lots of fun. I wish there were more contests and/or activity days on VHF. Due
to my QTH situation, I can't keep an antenna up and monitor all the time.

Rig - Yaesu FT-817ND
Antenna - Arrow 146/437-10BP (with only 2m elements attached, mounted on a
camera tripod beaming south from my apartment balcony at 40 feet)