[3830] IOTA W4O(N4YDU) SO(A)24Mixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n4ydu@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] IOTA W4O(N4YDU) SO(A)24Mixed LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 06:07:42 -0700
                    IOTA Contest

Call: W4O
Operator(s): N4YDU
Station: W4O

Class: SO(A)24Mixed LP
QTH: Ocracoke Island, NC
Operating Time (hrs): 18.5

   80:   23       11       0       0
   40:  179       31      23      12
   20:  290       38      90      22
   15:  183       24      86      22
   10:    9        5       6       2
Total:  684      109     205      58  Total Score = 1,119,735

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

This was a man trip with two of my non-ham friends with a contest sprinkled in.

We camped from Beachcomber Campground in the heart of Ocracoke Village and
amazingly the weather was not too bad. The mosquitoes were a bit testy at
times. Temperatures were in the high 80s but there was a good breeze throughout
the day and night.

I operated under a small pop-up shelter using a Kenwood 850 and an old
Butternut Vertical that was resonant on 80,40,20,15 and 10 meters. I had
provisions for another antenna but I didn't want to push my luck inside of the
campground - although the manager (Sean) would have let me do just about
anything. I was more worried about someone running into a guy line for a mast.
The owners of the place were exceptionally nice. In the end, I was quite
pleased with the Butternut. I was thinking about setting up in a marshy area
but the vegetation was too thick to bother. I set it up out of the way and
placed 8 14 foot radials on the ground - worked well enough. I had some decent
pileups at time.

The contest started out very slow - painful to be more descriptive. The first
hour yielded just 13 qsos! I kept telling myself things would get better as the
day progressed. The second hour was better thanks to a good burst of QSOs on 20
ssb. Conditions were up and down after that until around 4 p.m. when it got
really good. I was still able to run Europe on 20M at 2 a.m. but the
mosquitoes, low energy and poor operation position were just too much for me. I
took a 4.5 hour nap and got up for the last 90 minutes of the contest.

It was nice to work a few Europeans on 10 meters. 15 meters was very productive
at times and 20 meters was the typical money band. 40 meters was OK and 80 was
typical for the summer. If I could change anything I would have picked off a
few more mults on SSB.

73,

Nate/N4YDU