[3830] NAQP CW K5WA Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k5wa@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW K5WA Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2012 14:55:31 -0700
                    North American QSO Party, CW - August

Call: K5WA
Operator(s): K5WA
Station: K5WA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 10
Radios: SO2R

  160:   31    18
   80:  132    35
   40:  236    45
   20:  258    48
   15:  187    41
   10:    7     7
-------------------
Total:  851   194  Total Score = 165,094

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Team: CTDXCC Jalapenos

Comments:

Brutal!!  I had high hopes of doing well this time but ran out of time to
install a new SO2R box to replace my home brew box that got a lightning zap.
When the contest started, I had just killed a COM port to one rig.  My new
microHAM micro2R router seemed to have hosed a USB COM box I use so I spent the
first 5 hours floundering with all the settings while trying to get up to speed.
 These are the prices you pay for having a station an hour from home and not
enough time to prepare.

15M seemed very long to start and the 6s and 1s were loud but absolutely no 4s
here in southeast Texas.  After about an hour, 15 came to life for me and
things were OK but the computer was extremely sluggish from the time I hit a
key and I assumed it was the new microHAM router software bogging down the
system.  I took a 90 minute break at 4.5 hrs into the contest and figured out I
needed to set the processes priorities to "real time" and that helped the second
half of the contest.  Unfortunately, thunderstorms started then and made hearing
on 40/80/160 very rough even with beverages.  By the end of the contest, I had
every thing PERFECT!  Can we do it again?   ;-)

Sorry to those that were waiting on a report when my computer wouldn't respond
but I REALLY did hit the key on time.  Fun as usual and I'm always amazed how
how good the "conditions" for the top scorers.  I've almost figured out it
isn't the conditions that always seem to favor them.  See you next time.

Bob K5WA