[3830] HiQP K3FIV SO Mixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] HiQP K3FIV SO Mixed LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2012 21:28:45 -0700
                    Hawaii QSO Party

Call: K3FIV
Operator(s): K3FIV
Station: K3FIV

Class: SO Mixed LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:
   40:    3      4                         4
   20:    7     13      1                  8
   15:    2     11                         5
   10:    3      7                         4
Total:   15     35      1         0       21  Total Score = 2,520

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Very relaxed contest, at least for non-HI stations.  Propagation was good, but
there just weren't very many Hawaii stations to work.  I ended up with 51
contacts, and only 20 unique callsigns.  To work this contest, you need to have
something else to do, and occasionally check the bands to see who's on a new
band or mode.  Still fun, but didn't seem like a real contest from this side of
the water.

Suggestion for the organizers...

I only worked 20 callsigns, but there were many more distinct voices coming
from those stations.  So, there's more active hams, but they're hidden behind
club callsigns working at the contest stations.  I understand that - it's more
fun working at a "real" station.  But it takes a large number of callsigns out
of the competition.

In other low-population states, mobiles provide a chance for more contacts as
they move from county to county.  That's not so easy in Hawaii, even if you
have a fast boat!

But, maybe it would be interesting to allow the club/multi-op stations to
participate as a "team" of ops, rather than hiding behind a single callsign.
Each op would use his or her own call, and could enter both as individuals and
as a member of the whole team.  Thus, as ops changed, new callsigns would be on
the air - similar to how mobiles change callsigns by changing counties.  For the
ops, they each get the experience of being the "rare DX" as a new callsign which
hasn't yet been worked by the rest of the world.  Their points contribute to the
multi/team entry, and they can also enter as individuals.

I think something like this might liven up the contest, at least for the
stations outside of HI.

Just a thought...

73,
/Jack de K3FIV
Point Arena, CA  (I'm probably the mainland station closest to HI!)
Rig: Flex-3000, 100W and a 80M Carolina Windom at 35 feet