[3830] ARRL Sep VHF K1TEO Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wa2teo@aol.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF K1TEO Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 09:19:16 -0700
                    ARRL September VHF QSO Party

Call: K1TEO
Operator(s): K1TEO
Station: K1TEO

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: CT/FN31
Operating Time (hrs): 27.5

    6:  283    67
    2:  268    52
  222:  103    40
  432:  139    39
  903:   38    20
  1.2:   65    26
  2.3:   28    16
  3.4:   17     9
  5.7:   12    10
  10G:    8     5
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  961   284  Total Score = 455,536

Club: Northeast Weak Signal Group

Comments:

Overall a so-so contest this time around. I knew going into the contest that 3
ghz wa not working right. I seem to get out better than I can hear. The other
bands seemed ok ahead of time. Everything was fine until the front went through
early Saturday evening. The good news was that although there were strongs winds
and buckets of rain, we did not have any electrical storms (suprisingly given
the dire forecast) and we never lost power. After the rain the swr on 222 and
903 started creeping up. By Sunday morning the swr on 903 was over 3:1 and it
was almost as high on 222. That really was a downer as I counted all the guys I
could work on 432 or 1296 but not on 222 or 903. Usually my 903 Q total is just
a little below 1296 and the grid count is often higher. I'm not sure how (yet)
but Sunday afternoon 222 returned to normal which was helpful the last few
hours.

Activity was down again unfortunately. I have lived in the same QTH for 24
years and have operated over 65 VHF tests from here. Other than a contest with
ice on the antennas and another where the amp failed, this was the fewest Q's I
have ever made on 2M. Once upon a time with smaller/lower antennas I could
routinely expect to work 350 Q's +/-  on 2M, and more with any enhancment.
Lately it's been around 300. This time around it was 268. I am sure the below
average band condx did not help matters. I operate fairly often on the 205
group in the mornings and most of the guys I work there were about the weakest
I have heard since the winter time. On the plus side there was E-skip on 6M
both days which was a nice surprise. Nothing that strong or widespread but I
worked about 60 or so Q's on 6M e-skip and added about 20 grids. I never heard
any SA though I know many in my area did work that way. Must have been on
another band... I believe this is the first time my 6M Q total is higher than
my 2M total in a Sept contest.

73 and tnx for the QSO's.

Jeff K1TEO