[3830] CQ WW RTTY VE3BR SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve3fdt@rac.ca
Subject: [3830] CQ WW RTTY VE3BR SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 09:17:35 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: VE3BR
Operator(s): VE3BR
Station: VE3BR

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Brampton, ON
Operating Time (hrs):

   80:   82   164       24      13     8
   40:  191   417       39      33    14
   20:  259   649       37      61    19
   15:  314   859       24      64    26
   10:  240   684       16      54    22
Total: 1086  2773      140     225    89  Total Score = 1,258,942

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Radio: Ten-Tec Jupiter
Antennas: 5 band hexbeam @ 40ft &
          "radially challenged" DX-Eng 8040 Thunderbolt 55ft Dual Band
Vertical
Software: N1MM + MMTTY (AFSK)

Again unable to have any decent runs on 80, 40 and 20; seems that the "brute
force" nature of RTTY does not co-habitate well with low power. 10 and 15
worked out, though. Guess I will have to consult RTTY gods about that.

Again an improvement in my CQ WW RTTY score: another personal best. Despite
that I liberally took breaks from operating throughout the contest. Why? Mostly
because after my spinal surgery last year I (still a "recovering paraplegic")
have serious problems with remaining "in the chair" and simply need to get up
and exercise (a.k.a. "do something") for short whiles every now and then. Plus,
truth be told, RTTY cannot yet (as in: "Are we there yet?") keep me motivated to
the extend CW does.

N1MM clocked me at 35 hours (breaks over 30 mins: 2 longer naps and 3 and a
half hours it took to report the minor car accident my wife was in on Saturday,
a couple of breaks of an "undetermined nature", plus around 1 hour for a small
family dinner on Sunday). However, when shorter breaks (but longer then 15
minutes) are included, I operated for less then 24 hours.

With the new vertical I was trying, but still would love to try RTTY from a
real station some day.

Disclaimer: Ten-Tec Jupiter is a real ham radio, note that Sherwood
Engineering's reviews rank the receiving capabilities of many top-of-the-line
ICOMs lower than they do the "toy" Jupiter...