[3830] CQ WW RTTY N4KG SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N4KG@AOL.com
Subject: [3830] CQ WW RTTY N4KG SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 12:29:51 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: N4KG
Operator(s): N4KG
Station: N4KG

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: ALA
Operating Time (hrs): 25.6

   80:    0     0       0        0     0
   40:  102   227      28       39    13
   20:  184   464      30       59    22
   15:  230   605      19       71    27
   10:  253   700      18       66    27
Total:  769  1996      95      235    89  Total Score = 836,324

Club: Alabama Contest Group

Comments:

MACRO HINT:

To improve readability and retrievability of your messages,
Insert a SPACE Before the First Character and
Insert a SPACE After the Last Character in ALL of your MACROs.

This isolates YOUR message from all the traffic being sent
at the same time on the same frequency, making it easier
to identify and retrieve the information.

Neither the operator nor station were ready for this contest.
I was tired at the start and ended up sleeping during some of the more
productive times (late Friday evening - quit at 04Z- and half of Sunday morning
15-17Z)

One of my very old 3-500Z tubes had failed recently so I limped along with a
single tube at 400W until Sunday afternoon when the remaining tube no longer
glowed... then 100W to finish the contest.

As everyone knows, 10 and 15 Meters were HOT which reduced operating time on
20M.  I ended up hitting 15M hard on Saturday and 10M for 2.5 hours Sunday
morning when my ears and my body said "NO MORE" and I slept for the next 2
hours while 10 and 15 were strong into Europe.  So it goes.

HIGHLIGHTS:  15M Saturday night was incredible over the North Pole.
Between 0150 and 0250Z I worked several UA9/0 stations in Zones 19 and 18,
followed by UO1P (real 599) in Zone 17.  Also worked JT5DX and UA0YAY in Zone
23 and heard E21YDP but failed to raise him when my exciter started dropping
out which was finally determined to be due to a poor Power Plug Connection.
After tightening the female parts of the plug I was back to 100% power output
from the exciter and no more hot-switching from ON to OFF to ON while in TX
mode (that will wake you up !).

I confess I didn't pay a lot of attention to working USA stations and avoided
80M completely.

Station Setup

Icom 746 with 250 Hz Filter at 9 MHz and 2.4 KHz at 455 (I was lazy and didn't
set up the 500 Hz 455 filter... the single narrow filter was "Good Enough"
almost all of the time.

B&W PT2500 at 400W until Sunday Afternoon, then 100W.

40M antenna: 80M Dipole Sloping to NE from 120 ft fed with Ladderline/Tuner
20/15/10  TH7 at 40 ft plus D3 Dipole fixed on JA/S.A. at 60 ft.

Used 3 computers
Tower Computer running MMTTY
Old Laptop running OLD NA for Logging
New Laptop running DXScape for Packet Spots

I keep hoping that -someday- I will revamp the entire station and antennas...

Tom N4KG in North Alabama