[3830] CQ WW RTTY K5ER SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k5er@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQ WW RTTY K5ER SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 22:33:43 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: K5ER
Operator(s): K5ER
Station: K5ER

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Louisiana
Operating Time (hrs):
Radios: SO2R

   80:    7     8        5       2     3
   40:   96   190       26      28    11
   20:  124   269       29      38    20
   15:  168   347       29      41    19
   10:  128   304       14      30    19
Total:  523  1118      103     139    72  Total Score = 351,052

Club: Louisiana Contest Club

Comments:

Many Louisiana Contest Club members enjoy and have been talking up RTTY. We even
have multiple champion and CQ Contest Hall of Famer, AA5AU, as well as contest
winner KI5XP in the club. After 20 + years on no rtty activity, I had made only
two contacts before this contest, but was determined to get an SO2R setup going
with only one computer. Though it only took a matter of minutes to have AFSK
working, I was strongly advised to go FSK, to take advantage of the filters
available in modern rigs. I modified a DX-Doubler and with much help from club
members, decided to give it a go.
     Although it rained steadily the entire weekend (I got almost 6 inches),
there was NO lightning and the bands were great. Due to unexpected company and
other factors, I missed both prime European openings, but still managed to work
a bunch of them. Thanks a bunch to the JA's and SA's for the needed zones and
mults.
     Those guys with plaques on the wall were right - the filtering that FSK
mode brings to the table was well worth the extra effort. For my very first
RTTY contest, I guess I can be pleased with 523 contacts, although I can
already see where I could have easily added at least a couple of hundred more.

   Thanks for all the Q's and the patience as I sometimes hit the wrong macro
key. Looking forward to the next one when I'll be better prepared and know what
to expect.
73,
Mark, K5ER