[3830] CaQP NI6T M/MCntyExp HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k9yc@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CaQP NI6T M/MCntyExp HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 12:40:57 -0700
                    California QSO Party

Call: NI6T
Operator(s): NI6T N3ZZ K6MI W6GJB WB6HYD K9YC
Station: NI6T

Class: M/MCntyExp HP
QTH: Tehama
Operating Time (hrs): 30

  160:
   80:   123     92
   40:   224     90
   20:   419    477
   15:   332    410
   10:   196    171
    6:
    2:
--------------------
Total:  1294   1240  Mults = 58  Total Score = 368,358

Club:

Comments:

This team has operated from this location for at least five years, so we know
what to expect. We had three stations -- 3 K3s, 2 KPA500s, 1 Hercules II, two
tribanders, a 10M Yagi, and wires for 40 and 80. Activity on 40 and 80 seemed
to be down quite a bit from prior years, and died a couple of hours earlier
than usual. 10M SSB activity seemed to have been hurt a lot by competition from
a 1010 contest, and we had very little interest from Asia. One minor change from
prior years -- we had the relative luxury of N6RNO's big RV, using it as a
kitchen, operating position, sleeping quarters, and sanitary facilities. Rhino
wasn't available this year, so we scaled down to a tent and a rental
porta-potty. Not as elegant, but it worked fine.

All that aside, everything worked fine, except for a few computer problems that
were quickly solved.

We had a beta unit of the new Elecraft high power antenna tuner, the KAT500, on
one of the stations and it performed flawlessly. We "trained" the tuner for each
band and mode before the contest (simply selecting the antenna for the band and
letting the tuner tune for it), so during the contest the tuner simply read the
TX frequency, switched to the right antenna, and recalled its settings.  As a
result, band-switching was virtually instantaneous, and the operator didn't
even have to think about it. This is a real sweet tuner -- I've been using it
at home with my Titan at 1.5kW (1 kW RTTY).  I suspect they're going to sell a
lot of them.

73, Jim K9YC