[3830] CaQP K6M M/MCntyExp LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, Ron@WQ6X.Info
Subject: [3830] CaQP K6M M/MCntyExp LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2012 13:27:12 -0700
                    California QSO Party

Call: K6M
Operator(s): N6GEO,WQ6X
Station: K6M

Class: M/MCntyExp LP
QTH: Modoc County
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:   03      0
   80:  104     39
   40:  129     85
   20:  204     58
   15:  104     70
   10:   12      5
    6:    0      0
    2:    0      0
--------------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

This is our 2nd Expedition to Modoc county as K6M (2011 was on the Sacramento
river as K6S). We barely outdid our 2010 K6M effort (807 Q's) by reaching 813
Q's for 2012.

We ALMOST had a Th3-Jr up to 45 feet, except the Rohn mast couldn't take it and
crashed.  Missing driven-element pieces kept us off 6m.  2m was non-existent
from our location.

Ron (WQ6X) operated an ICOM 7000 radio multi-mode on 160,80,20 & 10-SSB.
George (N6GEO) used an FT-897 radio multi-mode on 40,15 & 10-CW

Antennas: Rotatable Dipole for 20-m @ 25', a Cobra-Sloper for 40,15 & 10 and an
HF2-V for 80,160 & 10.

Our location (near Alturas) was a very LOW-NOISE location. And, thanks to a
super line-filter on the generator I did not need to add in the MFJ-1026 noise
canceller this year.

There were CLEARLY Dx openings this year, but simply not enough volume of Dx
stations looking to play CQP.

While the solar Flux was depressingly low, the upside was virtually no
geomagnetic noise.  And, "skip" on 80 gave us a beautiful opening to the east
and north east.  On 160, I could hear y'all from the east coast, but the
1/8-wave vertical could only be heard in California.

Pictures and goodies related to our CQP efforts can be found at
http://WQ6X.Info/CQP
Pictures and data relating to our CQP-2012 effort can be found at
http://WQ6X.Info/CQP/CQP2012

Look for us on another expedition next year.
>From where?  Where would YOU like us to go?

73's
 Ron - WQ6X
 George - N6GEO