[3830] PaQP W3NO/R Rover Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, johngetz24@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] PaQP W3NO/R Rover Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 18:43:41 -0700
                    Pennsylvania QSO Party

Call: W3NO/R
Operator(s): W3NO, AD8J
Station: W3NO/R

Class: Rover Multi-Op HP
QTH: 8 Counties
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
---------------------------------------
Total:  669    658      0         0  Mults = 129  Total Score = 262,084

Club: Allegheny Valley Radio Association

Comments:

Running a rover operation from eight counties is work!  We did have some
problems.  We lost one tube in the amp the first day so didn't have a full KW.
But we were still plenty loud and had real big pile ups.  We were taking down
antennas in McKean about 10PM and turned on the car headlights to help see. The
car wasn't running and as a result, it ran down the battery and wouldn't start.
We were about a mile back a dirt road and hadn't seen one car
in the three hours we were there.  We had cell coverage but couldn't find a tow
truck to come help us.  Finally called 911 and they sent the local volunteer
fire department out to give us a jump.  I was able to give them the GPS
coordinates so they were able to find us.  So we lost two hours of operating,
and missed two counties on 75/80, which would have been about 150 more Q's.
Overall, we only missed three PA counties and 16 ARRL sections.  One of the
counties we missed was Forest where we had spent two hours giving out 171
contacts.