[3830] CQWW SSB C4Z(5B4AIZ) SOSB(A)/10 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB C4Z(5B4AIZ) SOSB(A)/10 LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 12:49:03 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: C4Z
Operator(s): 5B4AIZ
Station: 5B4AIZ

Class: SOSB(A)/10 LP
QTH: Mazotos
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:  673    35      103
------------------------------

Club: Chiltern DX Club

Comments:

SSB is not my thing but I make an effort for CQWW. A chest infection a couple of
days before curtailed any ideas of a serious entry. I opted to play around with
a single band s&p on 10mtrs for a few hours as I may not be around for the next
peak!

The band was wide open with great propagation, we can expect many records to be
broken. I decided to go 'assisted'and aim for dxcc and 40 zones. I made just
over the 100 countries but missed some zones. We never hear z1 on this band,
are a little too far east to work z3 ( I did hear 7's but no 6's on a south
east skew path later when the band was only open to SA,) I did try for LP but
we don't share common daylight needed for this band. Robert, ST2AR, was absent
so no z34, I heard but couldn't make z6 & z37, a 7Q7 was booming but doing s&p
when I came across him.

I would rate the assistance of cluster as a dead loss. ok for big guns but
little use for small pistols and I gave up on it, far better to tune and find
your own dx before the masses arrive. This is my first ever time doing a 10mtr
ssb contest and I was amazed by the sheer size of the band being used, It took
forever to get from the bottom end to the top, and it was the top at 29.7! wow
what a blast!

I was feeling a little improved on Sunday and had several runs, even though not
preferring phone I must admit to getting a real buzz on a couple of occasions
when the rate meter hit 240, small beer for the top guys but a real thrill for
me. There are still too many stns with splatter and wide signals, very
frustrating when they park next to you during a run, de-sensing your callers
brings the fun to an end so it is off to find another spot.

Very enjoyable time nevertheless, I wish I had been able to give it a real go.

TS 570 - 100w,  3 ele yagi up 15mtrs, logging with 'SD'

73  Brian C4Z  (5B4AIZ)